PDA

View Full Version : Cutting leafs out of spring pack?

Troy
06-20-2007, 10:46 PM
I bought some custom made rear leaf springs and they are about 10 inch lift springs and they are good quality springs but they have about 7 or 8 actual leafs in the pack and are pretty heavy duty. So for better flex (ya like ill have any in the rearend anyways) I was thinking of cutting down the first 2 leaf , under my main leaf down so that the spring can twist easier and have a bit softer ride? Just an afterthought after building the rear suspension. Truck is a long box pickup..any thoughts? or do i need to remove actual leafs to get a noticeable difference. I still have to put the box on which probably weighs 500 pounds maybe... I dont know im just thinking about the weight ill have on it and the stiffness of the springs because you want them matched.

Kinslayer
06-21-2007, 12:58 AM
I'd say you want the leaves to be as tapered as possible, to keep the pressure on the leaves even and progressive. But what do I know, I've never MADE a spring pack.

MR.MIKE
06-21-2007, 05:03 AM
ive never made one eather but i dont think heat is a good idea

Apathy
06-21-2007, 10:06 AM
just remove a couple of leaves

Troy
06-21-2007, 03:49 PM
ya i was thinking of removing one leaf. about the 3rd one down from the top. But I'm not sure if i should fuck with it because I have a feeling when I get the box on it, they should be bouncy. I might leave it for now and see what its like when I get it driving.