PDA

View Full Version : My truck stinks like rotten fish.

Buck Master
06-10-2007, 10:58 PM
Its a duramax diesel. Really stinks lately. Is it bad fuel? Bad cat?

lizard
06-10-2007, 11:02 PM
dont think diesels have cats ......battery overcharging?= sulpher smell

gavman
06-10-2007, 11:23 PM
I remember a buddy getting a new Nissan flatbed over in Ireland a good few years ago.
He used to haul crabs to the local markets and such.
Anyways his buddies hid some crab toes under his drivers seat and also hid some behind the door panel.
Three days later he notices the smell and eventually finds the bits under the seats but he never knew about the ones in the door.
The smell lasted for weeks and weeks...:D
So maybe check your door panels:dontknow:

barracuda
06-11-2007, 12:05 AM
Its a duramax diesel. Really stinks lately. Is it bad fuel? Bad cat?
perhaps its the hooker stains starting to fester on the upholstry :dontknow:

Made.U.Look
06-11-2007, 12:48 AM
I remember talking one evening at the "Ranch" about how to make a vehicle "smell" without ever being able to find out where it came from :D :D

Toyquad
06-11-2007, 08:24 AM
dont think diesels have cats ......battery overcharging?= sulpher smell

i agree... check batteries. and alt. thats where you'll find the rotten egg smell.

and newer diesels have cats...... or something like one anyway... forgot the name of it...:confused:

redman
06-11-2007, 09:42 AM
did you buy at shell? if you did there is your problem

blacker_69
06-11-2007, 12:11 PM
yep all new diesels should have cats as of 07' most now have exhaust particulate filters as well. oh and that fish smell i hid a dead trout in yer hubcap hahah. na jk check your intake, poss heater box area for dead rodents.

boyzen
06-11-2007, 10:32 PM
was my x in there or what?

Troy
06-11-2007, 11:18 PM
i agree... check batteries. and alt. thats where you'll find the rotten egg smell.

and newer diesels have cats...... or something like one anyway... forgot the name of it...:confused:

im pretty sure they are resinators, they look like cats tho but for diesels

blacker_69
06-11-2007, 11:46 PM
from what i know all ford diesels as of around 03 have em. some dont odd ball but as built there required. dont know bout dirtymax or cummins. but as of 07 they all should have them, mandatory.

Murd0c
06-12-2007, 11:30 AM
the problem is with the ultra low sulfer diesel that the gov't regulated has to be made now. The additives in it make it smell like rotton egg, there's going to be lots of changes in diesel over the next 2 years thats for sure

Buck Master
06-12-2007, 11:10 PM
Well, it wouldn't start at all this morning so I am replacing both batteries and the alternator. Don't want to chance it.

trailburban
06-12-2007, 11:11 PM
new regulations are making them have a particlualte trap and a post burn chamber to burn off the particulate to create a cleaner exaust. don't know anything about a cat though.

you should see the new exaust systems on the 07 and up rig engines, WOW, thats some fancy stuff. and the new engines make shit loads more power too. makes it a little tricky driving with no load (well for a mechanic driving it across a bumpy yard anyway), the throttle response is very sharp.

as for the stinky exaust, is is a wet exaust or is it try? I assume you are talking about the smell of the exaust.

shawn_ruley
06-12-2007, 11:15 PM
run 'er with biodiesel and your truck will smell like a french fry

Trooper
06-12-2007, 11:34 PM
run 'er with biodiesel and your truck will smell like a french fry
its way cheaper to if you get it 1000l's at a little cheaper then heating fuel. Cats have been in diesels for over 20 years standard in europe so are the particulate filters. Both my 91 diesel yotas have cats. New american diesels have cats too, Operating temp is around 1500f as most as scary as how they superheat the exhaust gas to burn out the soot in the particulate filters.