PDA

View Full Version : auto/lock hubs

nonhighwayservice
06-10-2007, 05:28 PM
I have the auto/lock hubs in my '03 F-250. When the hubs are in the auto position, is the diff supposed to be totally disengaged and spin like the free setting in other hubs, or are they always engaged just no power to them?!?! any help would be appreciated because I have a horrible shake, which I know is in some part the tires.

jakerngr
06-10-2007, 06:11 PM
everything spins untill the hubs sence the axle shafts starting to turn at a different time than the tire..then the hubs engage

nonhighwayservice
06-10-2007, 06:24 PM
so thats only in the 4wd setting. can I switch the hubs to the free/lock hubs even though they are vaccuum engaged?

jakerngr
06-10-2007, 07:22 PM
not sure

blacker_69
06-11-2007, 11:27 AM
the auto hubs on the super duty front end work like a ball point pen. vacuum is aplied the the inner diaphgram and it actuates the hub, a diff level of vacuum aplied again and not holding vac will release the hub.

in 2wd the front driveshaft does not spin. with the hubs manually locked in the front driveshaft will spin the same speed as the rear ds.

is you vibe with the hubs locked in? bad on take off and shakes the truck pretty bad?....... if those are your conditions you need a new front driveshaft. the universal in the doubel cardan joint is blown and there not rebuildable. you can but not recemended. new shaft around 400 bucks new i think. try a wrecker

in the auto pos the hubs are disengaged until you aplly vacuum to them by turning the switch on the dash

jakerngr
06-11-2007, 11:42 AM
what do you turn the switch on the dash too then ("im spinning")??? the hubs engage when the rear starts spinning.

steve604
12-02-2007, 12:51 AM
did you figure out what your shake is? i ask because i have a 2000 that is jumpy.