PDA

View Full Version : made a choice on tires....

Fuzzydog
06-07-2007, 01:14 PM
I know someone will tell me I got raped, and someone else will tell me they are the worst tires since the flintstones, but I made a choice and gotta live with it.
I wanted 33's for my Cherokee with 6.5" lift - narrowed it down to 3 choices/:

1. Big Foot X/T
2. Interco STS
3. Kumho Road Venture MT

My criteria was to step up in size from the 31" Wrangler MTRs I currently have, and a reasonable compromise between road manners and offroad ability. I settled on the Kumhos - which surprised me as they are an MT, and I was looking for an AT type tread. The Kumho tread is much less hardcore than say a Wrangler MTR and they look like they would be quieter.
$1000 out the door.

I talked to the guy about balancing and he uses sand - showed me the packages they come in, pre-marked with the amount of weight, and how much to put in based on tire size. I've heard of balancing with beads or bb's but not sand - anyone heard about this?

B
06-07-2007, 01:39 PM
been doing that for years on the big rigs ussually just the steer axles ... kumo's wear fast but if ya like em goood on ya

brothergrimms
06-07-2007, 02:08 PM
procomp about 600.oofor 35s

Always broke
06-07-2007, 04:14 PM
procomp about 600.oofor 35s The only problem with that is you end up with Pro Comps:dontknow:

I heard they are a pretty good tire but they wear a little fast ...Congrats[36]

Jeep Victim
06-07-2007, 04:38 PM
The Kumho MT's actually got a good rating in offroad tests,almost bought a set.Check out the Hercules Trail Digger MT's.They got a great rating offroad,cool looking tires.Petersen's 4wheel and Offroad did a offroad tire shootout and they were about the best tire in the trials.Check em out ,or check out the Petersen's web site and read the article.Tireland carries them exclusively.Around a 1000 as well and they have been offroad tested.If I could I would've gotten a set myself.Just my 2 cents

nonhighwayservice
06-08-2007, 11:13 PM
balancing with "sand" is not nearly as effective as using weights. I'm not too sure why they would use "sand" on such small tires, it's only really used on bigger tires 35" +

Kinslayer
06-10-2007, 03:44 AM
procomp about 600.oofor 35s

Maybe EACH, heh.

4doorShorty
06-15-2007, 09:21 AM
Maybe EACH, heh.
no kidding...but more like 279.99 retail at Fountain Tire each for 285/75 r16 X-terrains.

Fuzzydog
06-15-2007, 09:25 AM
balancing with "sand" is not nearly as effective as using weights. I'm not too sure why they would use "sand" on such small tires, it's only really used on bigger tires 35" +

After driving on them a few days - you definitely notice the wobble at low speeds but high speed has been pretty good