PDA

View Full Version : driveshaft steadybearing

FU Toolbag
06-06-2007, 10:02 PM
I have a slight problem. If I use a steady bearing shaft with a slip and then a solid shaft for the front driveshaft, I'll have about 6"of tube between the yoke at the t-case and then about 12"of slip to the middle u-joint. I don't think that will be very steady. I could go with a one peice shaft, but it'll be 5 ft long and go through a crossmember.

Another possibility would be to find a steadybearing shaft without a slip in it. I have one but it uses u-joints smaller than the ones in my steering shaft.

What is the formula for the correct ratio between the solid ujoint, the steady bearing and the slip end ujoint.

blacker_69
06-10-2007, 11:17 AM
essentially you want the two shafts to be of equal length. but not entirely important as long as you have a good steay bearing. your proper degree split should be between .5 and 3 degrees. with all the big lifted super duties of done ive found an equal 2 degree split works great and eliminates driveshaft whip.

if you go with a solid 5 foot shaft you will get a pretty bad driveshaft whip at highway speed. unless you use double cardan universals. unless it am aluminum shaft (doesnt warp like steel)