PDA

View Full Version : Bias vs radial?

Fuzzydog
06-06-2007, 09:57 AM
i see that Interco offers the Trxus 33" STS in bias or radial design. Everything I have read sez bias sucks and radial is the way to go. i am wondering why they would even offer the bias tire? do larger bias ply tires work better offroad than radials?

duff
06-06-2007, 10:00 AM
price maybee?:dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow: someone on here's gota know

Apathy
06-06-2007, 10:12 AM
Bias tires flex better and are Generally softer rubber.
Radials, don't flex as well but drive better on the road and will wear better.

HEAVY METAL
06-06-2007, 11:21 AM
Bias tires flex better and are Generally softer rubber.
Radials, don't flex as well but drive better on the road and will wear better.

disagree yo... radial will be " softer" as the belts run " radial" with the tire..

bias runs across the tread = stiffer carcass.. more durable offroad.. higher resitance too punctures...

HEAVY METAL
06-06-2007, 11:24 AM
if you put 5lbs in a 36 x 12.5 x 15.. ur rim will be on the ground...

if you put 5 lbs in same tire but bias... u will mhave a lil sidewall flex...

norm
06-06-2007, 11:31 AM
:s30x:

I have bias and they don't flex anywhere near as much as my radials did.
And when it's cold it takes awhile to get them round:D

brothergrimms
06-06-2007, 11:58 AM
thats becuase the sidewall is so thin as paper.

Squishy
06-06-2007, 05:25 PM
if its an offroad truck go bias, alot tougher as mentioned, radials will puncture easier, but are better for a daily driver/fsr driving truck. buy whatever you are planning on using the truck for, daily driver i wouldnt want bias on, but i wouldnt want radials on a trail truck

d0ubledown
06-06-2007, 07:14 PM
get the radial SSR's. they're the better swamper for radial traction compared to the trxus radials...especially for terrain that is more challenging than FSR's.

and X2 on if its gonna be a DD..then radial it should be for wear & performance. if its a trail only truck..then get the bias.

85_GMC_4x4
06-06-2007, 09:00 PM
Bias tires offer a few advantages:

- They air down better, with radials the tread portion stays "flat" Sure the bias ply sidewalls may be stiffer, but the contact patch (the part that matters) is actually softer than a raidial.

- Bias ply's cover the whole tire, even the sidewalls. Because of this they have much better sidewall puncture resistance.

- Because bias ply's cover the sidewall, you can now add tread to the sidewall. All of the mudder tires you see with big sidewall "lugs" are bias ply.

BUT! There are some disadvantages to bias ply as well.
- The tread/contact patch tends to be more "round", whereas radials stay relatively flat. Not a problem when you air down on the trail, but not so good for on the street.
- More sidewall deflection. Again, not a problem on the trail, but effects handling on the street.
- Bias plys tend to get stiff when cold or parked for a long time. Newer bias tires don't have this problem as much, but the older bias plys tend to get "flat spots" that don't go away until you drive a few shakey miles.

As you can see, the choice comes down to intended use of the vehicle. Kinda like boggers vs mudders...

ryanmacneil8448
06-06-2007, 09:35 PM
my bias 36" iroks feel like radials on the street they're r great tires and saved about 200 overall on the price compared to radials