PDA

View Full Version : Radiators

Throttle
05-30-2007, 09:26 PM
So my rad is pooched. Since I bought my XJ I've known that eventually I'll have to replace the rad. The guy who owned it before me hadn't put coolant in the rad for the entire summer before I bought the truck, so the water is all gross and rusty, I tried to flush it out, but the drain at the bottom of the rad is clogged (I tried unblocking it with compressed air but no luck), and there's something that looks like JB weld on the fins directly in front of the clutch fan.

Since this hot weather has come about, I've noticed that the truck is running a little hotter than normal. Understandable with the hot weather, but it didn't run this hot last year when I had it.

SOOOO its time to find a new rad. I'm planning on towing a utility trailer with the truck so I'm wondering if I'm going to need to upgrade to a larger rad or not?

Anyone have any suggestions?

NeoAnderson
05-30-2007, 11:00 PM
Not necessarily a bigger rad but just more rows in it.Get a 2 row all METAL radiator from Performance radiators...never have a prob again.

Oh and when ya change the rad..... flush out yer heater core with a garden hose through both hoses til the water comin out is clean.....heater cores like to plug up easy and then no heat.

Throttle
05-31-2007, 06:07 AM
yeah, I've already got an adapter for the garden hose to heater core flush out. Had to do it on my gf's tracker.

I'll call performance today for a price. Thanks man.

Throttle
05-31-2007, 05:14 PM
The Rad Shop in Chilliwack here just quoted me $175 for a 3 row rad for my cherokee. I'm pretty sure its plastic tanks, but I'll take it!

Pudge
05-31-2007, 06:35 PM
I'm doing the rad upgrade this weekend as well, apparantly a direct swap. I don't have A/C if you don't either all you need is a rad, over flow bottle, rad hose and coolant, well a rad cap too. If you have A/C you need the heater control valve you should prolly replace that the old ones allow coolant flow at all ties, newer ones don't.

Throttle
06-03-2007, 09:34 AM
I spent ALL day yesterday workin on the Jeep. I started by trying to save myself $200 and flush my old rad out and install a 180 degree thermostat to see if that would change the heating issues. After a good 4 hours of flushing the rad and heater core with a garden hose it FINALLY started to come clean. The initial water that came out resembled something that I can only describe as liquid baby diarrhea. [14]

Once the water came out clean, I drained the entire system, added the flushing compound, and filled it back up. I followed the instructions and let it run at high idle for about 30 minutes after warm up then drained the system. The water was a brown, but not nearly as nasty and gross as before. I repeated the entire flushing process where I would flush both heater core lines separately aswell.

Thinking that it was all done and ready for new fluid, I topped it up with 50/50 mix and took it for a test drive. [36]

To my surprise, the truck was running even HOTTER than before I flushed it :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Checked for air pockets, topped it up, but nothing helped.:(

So after a good 6 hours of tryin to save $200, I finally decided it was time to replace the stock 10 year old rad. I had already bought the rad, and it was sitting inside the back of my truck, I was just trying to be cheap! :D

So I figure that when I flushed my old stock rad, it must have loosened up a lot of chunks that were floating inside the block, and when it came back around to the rad, it must have blocked it good. [16]

So now the new rad is in, I'm sunburnt to fuck, but at least my truck runs nice and cool now [36] [36]

Pudge
06-03-2007, 06:49 PM
me as well, went to the upgraded system. Went pretty smooth, except on my old rad, the bottom tranny line was a 90 degree bend tube that was welded to the rad, and the new one needed a threaded insert style. Was 400 degrees today and was kinda fucked half was through, no wheels to get parts. So Vince to the rescue, he cut the 90 off and soldered it together!! Worked mint, other than that it went smooth, and seems to run great (no gauge yet).

Props to Matt and B at Jeap Thrills!! and especially Vince (FZJ80) without you peoples I'm dead in the water.