PDA

View Full Version : Winch cable help

jwstevens
05-30-2007, 04:49 PM
What do you use for the inner end of the winch cable to attach it to the screw hole on the drum? Right now it has a battery cable end that is kind of butchered on there, but that doesn't seem right to me. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks

gavman
05-30-2007, 05:08 PM
That's what i used too a few weeks ago.
I cut the end of the cable clean and square with a grinder and then crimped it in the vice.
Remember there should not be any real winching weight on the crimp as you never put a load on there unless there is at least say six to eight wraps of the cable on the drum first.:D

m j
05-30-2007, 05:08 PM
other then the "butchered on there" part that is what the new winches use
a button head allen bolt secures the end
do not unspool your cable passed the last wrap of the drum as it is the friction of the wraps that really holds the cable on and not the tiny battery lug thing, obviously.

jwstevens
05-31-2007, 11:20 AM
Thanks for the info. Last time we had to use the winch (it is on a friend's truck), the allen head end broke off, so duct tape to the rescue. We taped a couple of turns of cable to the drum and that worked alright.

The real lesson came later in the day when the battery died, the truck stalled, and we walked 7 km in the snow...