PDA

View Full Version : fuseable link/wiring question

tenpack
05-29-2007, 07:42 AM
I'm replacing some shotty wiring on my 83 chevy. The alternator wires and charging system wiring is old, and im replacing the whole bastard almost. The system goes as follows:

From the battery through a 2/0 gauge cable to the starter, off the same post on the starter to the various places: panel, alternator, igntion etc.

The problem is: Off one 3/8ths end, one 12g fusable link is conneced to 10g wire, and another 12g fusable link is connected to a 10g wire and what looks to be even an 8g wire to that goes to the panel.

Im not sure is the 12g fusable link is enough for the thicker wire, but noone makes 10g fusable( lordco, napa, any marine stores) Is there any alternatives?

Also, is it safe to run 12g fusable link feeding 8gwire and a 10g wire?

Thanks

Toyrantula
05-29-2007, 11:29 AM
if yor really worried about it, you ca n use a fuse froom a stereo shop. they come in a waterproof hlder.

Biggest worri i would have is when spaghettit wiring is used. people burn out the fusible link and repalace it with normal auto wire.

The jacketing of normal wire catches fire. fusible link wiring can handle the amperage alot more b4 burning..

gizmo_21
05-29-2007, 12:38 PM
to be honest it sound like your okay from what i know and i'll send you a link to confirm it but the rule of thumb is you use a fuselink 2 gages lower then your wire... (it's apparently safer)
heres the link

http://www.alanhorvath.com/54chevy/fusible_links.php

sorry it looks like it's 4 gauges down

hope this helps
Ry

tenpack
05-29-2007, 07:33 PM
anyone know of any good ways to connect two 10g wires to 12g fusable link? The set-up im removing had a cylindrical connector that i cant seem to find anywhere.

Kinslayer
05-30-2007, 09:27 AM
Go get a car-audio fusable link - you can get em as big as you want.

tenpack
05-30-2007, 09:25 PM
Go get a car-audio fusable link - you can get em as big as you want.

What they look like? I got those ones that are a capsule style where a cylindeical fuse pressed in by 2 ends of the cable, like this:

http://www.electronix.com/catalog/images/45-802.jpg

cause i got one of those, if so what size fuse? I'm new to wiring

trailburban
05-31-2007, 09:53 PM
thats just a low end glass fuse holder isn't it?
I'd get some ATO style fuse holders that have the covers on them.

also, as for the wiring...
i would run one wire from the battery to the starter with a large fuse on it, and run all the other wires to the battery with the other fuses up there.
it makes for safer wiring and a cleaner look when nothing is piggy backed.

to connect the wires to the fuse just use a but connector (uninsulated), then solder it and shrink tube it (glue type shrink tube).

you can get ATO style fuse holders that hold several fuses, that way they are all in the same spot under the hood.

85_GMC_4x4
06-01-2007, 12:59 PM
You can find 10ga/30amp fuseable links fairly easily. I bought mine from lordco.

Also, there's nothing stopping you from running 2 fuseable links in parallel ( 2 x 30amp = 60amp)

And a final comment.... Do NOT use smaller guage wire for the fuseable link. I'm not sure who the heck would think it's safer or why. The fuse itself is what is protecting the circuit from overload, NOT the size of the wire.

tenpack
06-02-2007, 07:03 PM
thanks for the tips. Im gonna need to look at finding some 10g fusable link.

I'm not replacing the whole panel, basicaly im replaced upto the ATO fuse panel. Basically, im re-doing from to the battery to the panel.

Thanks for the help

Kinslayer
06-04-2007, 12:41 PM
They look like this:
http://www.usblaster.com/pictures/artikelen/arf405.gif