PDA

View Full Version : steering arm shim question

hoser
05-28-2007, 09:03 PM
ok heres whats up..did a sas to my truck not long ago..rebuilt the front diff before putting it in...low kms on it since the swap..diccovered the other day that my king pin bearings are fuckered..when i rebuilt it i might of mixed up the shims for the steering arms. drivers side still seems fine the pass. side the top ones fucked lower one looks fine..just wondereing wut happened..did the bearing just shit itself?did i shim it to much?not enough?just b ought 4 new bearings today wondereing if i should shim it any differently when i put back together...[cheers]

fresh
05-29-2007, 08:05 PM
uh oh i just rebuilt my toyota front end but dont have stearing yet hope someone knows how many shims

Cheeky
05-29-2007, 09:11 PM
I will call ya tomm.place in Langley does all that shiat-cant remember the name but know where the reciept is:o

I'll give ya a shout,also heep trillies:eek: knows that shit,so I have heard:dontknow:

crazy j
05-29-2007, 10:32 PM
you have to shim it according to your specific axle.
its like adjusting the preload on the front wheel bearings, theres no specific number of turns or shims in this case. thats why its adjustable in the first place
remeber that there are different thickness of shims aswell, so you cant go by the number of shims used either.
to set it up properly youll need the wheels off and the tie rod ends disconnected.
to tight, and there will be too much resistance. too lose and there will be play.
if i remeber, toyota has specific specs using small spring scale, but i cant remeber what they are off the top of my head.

fresh
05-31-2007, 10:58 PM
does the bottom have to be setup perfect, or mainly the top?

Murd0c
06-01-2007, 07:38 AM
I had one shim in each of mine, when I re did it couple weeks ago with dirka dave he said to put 2 in cause thats what he has so I did

Big_Ern
06-02-2007, 12:33 AM
you have to shim it according to your specific axle.
its like adjusting the preload on the front wheel bearings, theres no specific number of turns or shims in this case. thats why its adjustable in the first place
remeber that there are different thickness of shims aswell, so you cant go by the number of shims used either.
to set it up properly youll need the wheels off and the tie rod ends disconnected.
to tight, and there will be too much resistance. too lose and there will be play.
if i remeber, toyota has specific specs using small spring scale, but i cant remeber what they are off the top of my head.

[stupid]

There is no set # of shims to use. New bearings require a different ammount of shims

StinkFinger
06-03-2007, 12:04 PM
if you put in new berings assemble it with no shims tighten every thing up ( it should be realyy hard to turn ) but this sets every thing in place then add shins evenly to the top and bottom till you get the desiered bering pre load
it should have some resistance but turn smoothly if its realy hard to turn ad more shim if it flops back and forth take some out

GOT MUD
06-05-2007, 06:55 PM
when i re did the knuckle bearings in my 83 i put 2 shims in the top and the bottom. thats what came out so back in they went , and they moved back and forth just fine as far as i'm concerned, there was a thin one at probably about 1/32 and the other one is about 1/16. there the stock shims i would think, anyways there was no slop and they definitly were'nt to tight