PDA

View Full Version : rear axle seal and bering

rs9000
05-18-2007, 07:51 PM
got a 1990 samurai need to put in a rear axle seal and a bering how big of a job is this never done one ? have a shop full of tools and every thing i could possibly need[cheers]

bigguysmalltruck
05-19-2007, 08:06 PM
the only bitch i had on my sj was pullin the axl.the bearing is pressed onto the axl,so a slide-hammer or at least some chain and a good tug is a must.the axl seal popps out with a screwdriver and you pound the new one in with a socket or piece of tube that is the seme diameter as the seal.put a little silicone around the seal before u put it in.

Mattse.cx
05-24-2007, 08:45 AM
I pulled my axles recently, and rather than pony up for a slide hammer I made one of my own.

With some thick wire, loop several times around the drum studs, leaving a long loop with several winds of wire sticking straight out. Put the nuts on the studs to hold the wire on. Grab your regular hammer, and slide it back and forth inside of the long winds of wire. Bingo - your axle should pop out.

sobe
05-24-2007, 08:26 PM
Not really that bad. I pulled both axles on my 410 recently to upgrade the drums. Really wasn't as difficult as I had thought it may be.