PDA

View Full Version : Box removal?

shawnw
05-18-2007, 07:48 AM
Probably a stupid question, but since I've never taken a box off before I thought I'd ask. Will be swapping a logger box onto the truck in the next week or so and just need to get the process down straight.

Taking the old bed off you just take off the main mounting bolts, separate the filler necks from the bed, take off all the wiring for the lights and lift up right?

And then the new bed should be just the opposite?

If there is anything I'm forgetting or any tips that would be great. Thanks.

Growly Gorilla
05-18-2007, 10:36 AM
there not as light as they look,get 3 other people to help lift it off.Don't forget ground wires too.

BOVINE
05-18-2007, 10:56 AM
Yeah your going to at least want 4 guys to help lift it on and off.

asigalet
05-18-2007, 01:51 PM
Is it a Ford? If you are looking to get rid of your old box let me know. I need one.
Definitely use 3 people to lift off the old one. And depending on the logging box configuration you may have to make a few mods to your fuel neck and other mounts.

shawnw
05-18-2007, 05:00 PM
Yeah, I'll definatly have at least 4 people to get it off. And the logger box is getting put on with a forklift. 1/8" sides and 1/4" bottom would be kinda tough with only people power. It came off a identical truck so should fit on nicely. And sorry but someone already has dibs on the old box. What should I charge them? It's in good shape and has a bedliner.

bakelite
05-19-2007, 01:41 AM
Yeah I got a loggers box and have to get the neighbour over with his forklift to move it, those are some heavy boxes lol. [36]

FU Toolbag
05-19-2007, 03:14 PM
First of all, take the bumper off as well as the back tires. Makes getting to the back bolts easier, and nuthing like carrying a 400 pound box over the tires and then getting caned by the bumper corner. I've done it.

also, if you have the ability, put 4 tall jackstands uner the box and then drop the frame to the ground. Much easier th telling your friends to hold it up while you look for whatever is hanging you up.

As far as putting the new one on, try jackng it up as high as possible, put some 45gal barrels under it with some 8' 2x6 accross holding the new box up and then drive under it. his method also works with removingth old one, assuming you have no friends, like me.