PDA

View Full Version : GROTE LED tail lights

Throttle
05-16-2007, 10:34 PM
Hey just wondering if anyone else has had to wire GROTE LED tailights to a trailer or their rig.

I've built a trailer and I'm starting the wiring for the tail lights. I picked up a pair of 4" LED tail lights, and it has 3 wires that run to the back

1)ground
2)tail light
3)stop/turn signal

what I can't figure out is, why would you put your signal light on the same circuit as the stop light, because when you hit the brakes, the lights will light up bright, but say if you're stopped at a stop sign waiting to turn, then the light will stay on and wont flash because its constantly getting power from the stop lights... any idea's?

u2slow
05-16-2007, 11:18 PM
That's normal. The signal and brake are the same filament on conventional trailer lights. The brake is overidden by the signal.

Throttle
05-17-2007, 05:28 AM
really? how the hell do you wire that up?

u2slow
05-17-2007, 07:39 AM
I've never wired trailer lights any different :dontknow:

Just forget about the brake lights. Pretend they don't exist. ;)

http://zieman.com/old/images/wiring.gif

Throttle
05-17-2007, 05:08 PM
hahah forget about the brake lights???!!! no way!!

Anyway, I got a brake light module from Fortins today out in the wak for $25, should solve my problem. Thanks guys

NeoAnderson
05-17-2007, 05:14 PM
I wired mine on my jeep just the same as factory.
No probs at all.

Throttle
05-17-2007, 09:16 PM
I wired mine on my jeep just the same as factory.
No probs at all.

and you've only got two lights on the back of your trailer?

I do'nt know what I did wrong, but this brake light converter should work. Going to test it out tomorrow.

u2slow
05-17-2007, 09:43 PM
hahah forget about the brake lights???!!! no way!!

No - what I mean is you don't have to do anything special. The brake and signal are the same lamp wire.

kootenaycat
05-17-2007, 10:08 PM
No - what I mean is you don't have to do anything special. The brake and signal are the same lamp wire.

My XJ has seperate turn/brake lights so I needed a convertor to hook up my trailer.

Throttle
05-18-2007, 06:09 AM
My XJ has seperate turn/brake lights so I needed a convertor to hook up my trailer.

Same here, mine are on seperate wires. Oh well, the box was cheaper and will be a lot easier than cutting holes for new signal lights.

u2slow
05-18-2007, 07:53 AM
Must be a Jeep thing. :rolleyes: