View Full Version : How do i put a lein on a car.

05-16-2007, 05:14 PM
I traded services for this guy who was going to do the work on my stepside box, if i rebuilt the engine in his old toyota. I have had the engine rebuilt for a year now and its just collecting rust in my yard. The guy fucked off to vancouver and I havent been able to contact him for a few months. I dont have any registration for it either. Im wondering if i can put a mechanics lein on it or not. any help would be greatly appreciated.

05-16-2007, 05:35 PM
how much ya want for the motor?

05-16-2007, 06:02 PM
ya cant put a lien on a vehicle workin outta your yard you need some documentation or every pissed off dude would be puttin liens on cars best you could do is sell the motor to cover your costs.
Did ya keep it wrapped up and lookin good and do ya have reciepts for parts and machining costs if so I'm sure someone will buy it off ya

05-16-2007, 07:33 PM
how much ya want for the motor?


05-16-2007, 08:07 PM
yeah im in need of a good engine

05-16-2007, 08:25 PM
go find the guy with a bat

sell engine

05-16-2007, 09:05 PM
Yeah, i'd say sell the motor. Then he shows up like four months later saying 'What the fuck?' and you say "hey guy, I didn't hear from you for like six months. I sold the motor to pay for my work and got the wrecker to come pick up your abandoned shit"

05-16-2007, 10:23 PM
you need to be a mechanic there has to be a business license and signed work order involved and you need the vehicles vin

05-17-2007, 01:40 AM
You don't have to be a certified mechanic, you can also put a "wharehouseman's" lien on it but you do need a business license and a signed work order. Check with the courthouse, you can sell it for storage costs after a specific amount of time which I'm not sure of. Bottom line, lien or not if he gets it back he can do what he wants unless it's a lot of money involved it's not worth the time and cost to you.

05-17-2007, 06:49 AM
how much???

05-17-2007, 09:07 AM
well i put $400 worth of parts into the engine, its an 85 toyota tercel, probbly not worth anything to you guys, i forgot to tell you it wasnt a 22R but if anyone wats to buy it, its running like a charm still in the car, take it for $300 and a case of beer. I'll even pull it for ya.

05-29-2007, 10:08 PM
walk up and lean on it

05-30-2007, 12:14 PM
I think you claim the papers on the car as an abondoned car on your property through icbc buddy will be forced to reply within 30 days if not the car is legally yours if he responds he's responsible to pick up the car IE face you with bill in one hand baseball bat in the other. This will cost you about 75 bucks tho.
And icbc will send the letter to his last known address so if he's moved and not notified them he wont beable to respond

06-03-2007, 11:32 PM
[stupid] thats the route, you may also have to put an add in the paper, to show that you tried to find the guy.

Same thing happened on a rental property of my old mans, left em hanging for a few months rent and left a car in the yard for a few months after he left. After trying to resolve, Dad legaly took ownership through the abandoned vehicle clause, and sold it for what was owed on the rent (smokin deal on an old mopar!) Wish I woulda been a little older or I woulda bought it!