PDA

View Full Version : cams

sparkes3
05-16-2007, 05:21 PM
i just put a pro comp extreme energy cam in my five litre f150 and now i cant get the damn thing to work right . if i adjust the timing to give it power it pings,if i adjust the ping out of it there's no power. i'm just wondering if anyone else has used this cam in the same setup and had the same problems. any ideas / info would be a great help. thanx in advance.

jakerngr
05-16-2007, 05:40 PM
what year is it??? sounds like you need more fuel

sparkes3
05-16-2007, 05:51 PM
its a 1990 f150 4x4

Nutbar
05-16-2007, 06:02 PM
#1 those years ford trucks used a "Speed Density" fuel injection system which uses a MAP sensor for measuring air flow in the engine the MAP sensor measures manifold vacum and calculates the amount of air usage by the amount of vacum with throttle position and engine rpm. So if you put to large of a cam profile in that type of injection system it will drop your manifold vacum below what the ECM can adjust for and the ECM will not work properly, hopefully you did not get a cam that was to far beyond stock.

#2 there is a knock sensor that is easy to miss at the back of the engine behind the intake manifold.

#3 you do know that to set tiiming on those you are supposed to disconnect the spout connector by the distributor to disable the timing controls of the ECM while adjusting the timing ( looks like an injector plug with a jumper in it ) I don't know if adjusting the timing without removal of the spout connector will affect the computer at all.

Tha_Stepside
05-16-2007, 06:03 PM
pings as in detonation, or pings as in metal to metal. If its a detonation problem i would double check your cam-timing, you may be off a tooth. It would dramatically advance/retard you timing and cause a you to have lots of power or little power.

Deathtrap
05-16-2007, 07:02 PM
Make sure your cam is speed density friendly, it has to have 114 degrees of lobe seperation or more if I recal, This topic has been cover alot at FSB they have a thread on just camshafts for these trucks heres the link

http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6867&highlight=Camshaft

sparkes3
05-16-2007, 09:23 PM
yes i did disconnect the spout connector
pings as in detonation
lobe angle is 110 degrees
guess i will have to check timing again
if that dont work out comes the extreme cam and in goes a new stock cam
and the parts book said i wouldnt have to change anything
thanx for the info will check everything again before i tear it all apart again.

blacker_69
05-17-2007, 10:39 PM
all fuel injected v8s typically set to 10 degrees no adjusting, unless your set up with msd and whatnot.

ShortStack
05-18-2007, 07:21 AM
honestly I dont know anything about this cam or engine, but another thing is grade of fuel. If it is extreme and once you get the timing right, try a higher grade fuel than 87 (if thats what you're still using).

If you're not sure on the timing you should take it to a performance shop and have it timed before you pull the cam. The guys are right it could be a tooth out at the cam or crank.[cheers]

I have a big cam in my car and it wont run on anything but 94oct.