PDA

View Full Version : needing a beter hitch.

FU Toolbag
05-09-2007, 10:38 PM
I need to use the chev as a tow rig for a bit, so I looked at the hitch on there and came to the conclusion that it wouldn't cut it. Couldn't figure out if it was a factory job that had bin reworked or what. I regularly pick my vehicles up by the receiver, and this one twisted the whole hitch up about 10degrees. I did have about a foot of leverage on it with the receiver and all, but there's no way it should have moved, unless the crossmember was made from 1/8 wall. The back of the frame was also cut off, as well as the back crossmember, leaving only the hitch to support the frame. So today I torched out the receiver tub section, and yes, 1/8 wall 4x3 hss. No way is that gonna pull no 7,500lbs. So I started the new hitch install. I had another plan started, but this idea will be easier to live with.

You can see part of the original hitch. With the frame held solid now and the deck off I can cut it out and weld her up.

While I'm at it, I'm gonna put in the hinges for a tilt deck. I don't have the hydraulic mounts done yet, but with the deck off now, let's get'r'dun.

Kinslayer
05-10-2007, 11:37 AM
Those are some beauty offset rims, heh - Dually with one rim on i'm assuming..?