PDA

View Full Version : Leaf Lift or Shackle flip?

Tha_Stepside
05-08-2007, 12:46 PM
Ive got a 78' F150 with a 4" BDS lift and blocks in teh rear, i also have a shackle flip sitting in my garage that will give 4" of lift. The leafs are toast, so im gonna replace the leafs either way, im just wundering what are the advantages of each set-up: shackle flip w/stock leafs, or 4" BDS leafs . Which one has best ride/handling, which one has best articulation, and most important; which one has the least axle wrap.

Kinslayer
05-08-2007, 01:11 PM
Your best bet are after market 4x leaves - better ride, better flex. Less axle wrap than blocks in either case.

you MIGHT get more droop with the shackle reversal if your leaves are really long though.. I have an idea - USE BOTH!

jakerngr
05-08-2007, 01:33 PM
the less ark on a spring the nicer ride and more flex

Kinslayer
05-08-2007, 01:55 PM
the less ark on a spring the nicer ride and more flex

True, only generally though. When comparing a stock spring to a re-arced stock spring true, but what about a softer lift spring that is designed longer and for off road use?

Tha_Stepside
05-08-2007, 02:43 PM
If i were to go with stock springs i'd get new ones from LMC truck parts they are about $100 cheaper than the lift springs. I think thats the way im going to go, thanks for the input guys.

Kinslayer
05-08-2007, 04:13 PM
Honestly, if you have the shackle drops already, that's what I would do. I'd probably pick up some used ones from the wrecker or something.

Squishy
05-08-2007, 04:17 PM
with a 4" lift shackle flip you may need to rotate your spring perches as your pinion angle will be way off with that much lift just from the shackle

Tha_Stepside
05-08-2007, 05:26 PM
my pinion angle should be fine, the blocks that are on there right now are a box, not angled to adjust anything, plus i have a cardon-style top u-joint so it can handle some extra flex.

Nutbar
05-08-2007, 07:25 PM
The shackle flip with stock springs will give you a softer ride than lift springs but will have less load carrying capacity.

having the shackle on top of the spring will force the spring to flex more because the weight of the truck wants to force the shackle out from underneath the frame mount, the shackle under the spring will be more stable because the weight of the truck wants to make the shackle stand straight up and down.

Kinslayer
05-08-2007, 07:43 PM
with a 4" lift shackle flip you may need to rotate your spring perches as your pinion angle will be way off with that much lift just from the shackle

Shackles are on the rear in this case, it will rotate his pinion upwards - it will HELP his angle.

m j
05-08-2007, 10:22 PM
shackle flip will do everything better
pinion angle will need to be addressed

not sure if it will help or hurt hopping
the ride is far softer
the suspension on mine seems to plant the tires so I would guess the antisquat is increased but how far is the question
kinda a moot point though as a single ladder sytle traction bar with the front shackle mounted is prety much a necessity with leaves if you want a soft ride and no wrap