PDA

View Full Version : 88 4 runner fuel pump replacement

crazylike
05-07-2007, 10:00 PM
How hard is it to replace the fuel pump on a 88 4runner and does anyone know how much they are. debateing on getting one for a bush buggy found one cheap but needs above fixed and i am not much of a mechanic :confused:

toyon35s
05-07-2007, 10:16 PM
you have to drop the tank,its a good 3hour job

crazylike
05-07-2007, 10:28 PM
3 hour job but is it difficult or easy like an old chevy?

82 yota
05-08-2007, 04:56 AM
on a 4runner you dont have to drop the tank, there is an access panel under the rear seat on the passenger side, i think it's 4 screws that hold it down, just take it off and the sending unit is right there is about 8 more bolts and 3 fuel lines and its out, the only problem is those 8 bolts like to rust and break, which makes the job a bit of a pain, if all goes well ot should only take about an hour, but if bolts break, expect to be there for a while

redman
05-08-2007, 09:00 AM
you do have to drop the tank ive done it in my old 88 and it sucked balls espically a full tank of gas

Stetson
05-08-2007, 09:22 AM
on a 4runner you dont have to drop the tank, there is an access panel under the rear seat on the passenger side, i think it's 4 screws that hold it down, just take it off and the sending unit is right there is about 8 more bolts and 3 fuel lines and its out, the only problem is those 8 bolts like to rust and break, which makes the job a bit of a pain, if all goes well ot should only take about an hour, but if bolts break, expect to be there for a while

[iagree]

I've found the worst to be the metal fuel line, its usually rusted at the connection and won't unscrew. But not a tough job at all. Good luck!

crazylike
05-08-2007, 09:38 AM
thanks i think i will go have me a look at this 4 runner i pretty sure i can manage to change the fuel pump lol. hopefully it has the inside accexx panel hehe cause i'm lazy.. hopefully the body is in gooder shape lol. i hear that 4runners rust badly.