PDA

View Full Version : trip to brandywine falls

thatshott101
05-05-2007, 10:48 AM
Went on a field study trip with geology/geography classes

Porteau Cove
Our first stop was Porteau cove found some bedrock that showed a fault happened a long time ago, Also there was a roche mountonne(shows directiona glacier once went) The last glacier to move across that area moved in the direction of Squamish to horseshoe bay, there was also some underwater topography, Terminal Morain(ending of a glacier where all the sediments are deposited) which caused once side to be 800Ft deep and the other 100 feet deep of water.

Britania Mine and river

Stopped at Britania mien and talked about the history on how the water is full of toxins from the mien not properly being plugged and water coming out of the rocks and getting into the river. Britania Mine has Hydrothermal Volcanic Sulphide ore deposits inside the mountain. Those ore deposits are the metals of copper, zinc and gold (many more types also). The minerals that are mined are Calcopyrite and Galena for some examples. The mill is a Concentration Mill (concentrates ore deposits so they can be shipped). The mill that is on the site now was built in 1910, was the 3rd mill to built on that location. You can also see hanging valleys across the way. A hanging valley is a tributary glacial valley. They are smaller and lighter then the main glacial valley, the mouth lies high above the floor of the main valley.

Shannon Falls/ The chief

We stopped at the chief and had to explain it before we went on a hike. The Stwamus Chief shows that there is a subduction zone there. The ocean plate went under the continental plate, the plates began to heat up creating magma which cooled in the ground(a batholith).The land was pushed up , you can see in the rocks where glaciers have cause fractures in the rocks. A dyke was formed and later filled with basaltic magma which later cooled (the long dark strip in the pictures). In rocks all around the chief and Shannon Falls you can find striations (scratches in the rocks cause from sediments and debris in glaciers scratching the rocks when it moved over top)

Squamish Harbour/Mount Garibaldi

Mount Garibaldi is a Composite Cone Volcano aka Strato Volcano. It is also dormant. Composite cones consist of alternating layers of lava and ash.

Tantalus Range

At the Tantalus valley view point, you can see pyramindal peaks in the mountains caused from many glaciers cuttign rocks out at the top. There are also braided strams at the floor of the valley.

Brandywine Falls

At Brandywine falls a fissure was visible. A fissure is when the land opens and magma (basalt) fills the cracks. This happens in a subduction zone. At Brandywine falls there are 8 different lava flows visible in the rocks. The reason Brandywine falls got that name is because two explorers had a contest on who could get the estimate of the height the closes. The winner got a barrel of wine and a barrel of brandy. Thatís how they came up with the name Brandywine.

Sorry the pictures are out of order

FINGERS
05-05-2007, 10:50 AM
nice shots ,thats a great place to explore eh

thatshott101
05-05-2007, 11:39 AM
i loved hikign up the chief so beautifull :)

the_balls
05-05-2007, 12:03 PM
haha, nice. i went on that trip last year, was a gongshow. if you had mr dahle you may have seen the picture of his conch on those tracks........that was me :cool:

ez_b
05-05-2007, 12:11 PM
those are hot thatshot

thatshott101
05-05-2007, 12:27 PM
haha, nice. i went on that trip last year, was a gongshow. if you had mr dahle you may have seen the picture of his conch on those tracks........that was me :cool:

ha ha mrs ostrwoski and mr watt were hilarious on this trip... u guys have t-shirts made? lol

bakelite
05-05-2007, 12:44 PM
Cool....I worked at Brittannia Mines when Annaconda owned it, company town, what a great place to live it was. [cheers] Nice pictures of a great area.

the_balls
05-05-2007, 12:48 PM
ha ha mrs ostrwoski and mr watt were hilarious on this trip... u guys have t-shirts made? lol

ya for sure, big-o is such a sketch case on the trip, it's hilarious......she's pretty much my hero. i'll put up a pic of the shirts we got later

thatshott101
05-05-2007, 12:50 PM
ha ha we had 3 diffrent shirts was awsome and brought her baby and the bear on the trip ill get pics of the shirts later..

thatshott101
05-05-2007, 01:32 PM
one of the tshirts we had for the trip, other tshirts said "geomorphin time" and "eat, sleep, geography"

and a group photo of all of us who went

the_balls
05-05-2007, 03:04 PM
booooo, the g-unit reference is super gay and the geomorphin time is the same as the one i got last year, i can't remember our other ones though

thatshott101
05-05-2007, 03:29 PM
h aha i love them all, kinda corny though

Taxidermy
05-05-2007, 03:36 PM
cool PICS

Landlover
05-05-2007, 10:47 PM
That's cool I'm glad high schools are doing trips like that. I've taken quite a few Geography classes in University and you definatley learn a lot more if you can see and touch what you're learning about. Looks like a good time. I enjoy off roading because I can look at the scenery and understand how it formed thousands of years ago. Thanks for the quick flashback in Geology.

the_balls
05-05-2007, 10:56 PM
gotta agree with the landlover, of all the classes i took in high school geography was the only one i really enjoyed, it's nice to know what yer drivin through over or under

thatshott101
05-06-2007, 10:48 AM
yeha, i loved learning about it, learning thati live on a beach!! (where maple ridge goes into pitt the lil hill on dewedney/lougheed) is a beach, ocean used to come up to there and i live like rate on 203rd (the beach!) its fun to know, i think one reason why geography is the best though is because of mrs o! ha ha, but yeah i want to be a geologist/ prospector so this trip was one of the best for me, kinda having a feel for what ill be doing in the future