PDA

View Full Version : a friend just bought a jeep, needs carb help

m j
04-30-2007, 08:59 PM
the thing is a mess
89 YJ that looks like it had a feedback carb but all the computer stuff is ripped out
I think it dumped a bunch of raw fuel into the exhaust system and then ignited in the pipes
the entire exhaust system right to the tailpipe was glowing red
the hangers even back by the fuel tank caught fire

is there a carb swap that would get this thing back running right?
I know nothing about Jeeps other then I never want one
I will let him know whatever you guys recommend

thanks

Nutbar
04-30-2007, 09:34 PM
If the carb is reasonable it does not need a swap to get it to work right it needs some adjustments

the carb will need the fuel feedback solenoid taken off the back of the carb and the needles pulled all the way out so that they will seat fully in the carb when the solenoid is put back on and the idle air screws ballanced and adjusted for best idle (highest idle speed)

the timing will need to be set for 8-10 deg at idle vac advance disconected to set.

check for intake gasket leaks (AMC inline 6s are notorious for them) and check to make sure the carb is not dripping from the boosters at idle if it is the carb will need a clean and over haul.

m j
05-01-2007, 04:14 PM
it definitely needs work
I would say the needle and seat are stuck open to flood it that bad
so you are saying the feedback carb will work as a normal carb if the needles are stuffed fully in?

Nutbar
05-01-2007, 05:37 PM
Yes the feedback carb will work without the computer you just need to close the solenoid needles into the seats in the carb and leave it and all the computer shit unplugged. The solenoid was just an air bypass to lean the fuel mixture out controlled by the computer.

m j
05-01-2007, 06:38 PM
thanks for the info
I was guessing it was like a holley powervalve
his is messed up and needs to be replaced/rebuilt
he is balking at the $300 quote from lordco
hard pill to swallow on your first day of Jeep ownership

Jeep Victim
05-01-2007, 06:53 PM
Tell him to suck it up.There are gonna be alot more of these days in the future.Is he running a stock rearend? Yeah tell him to scrap it right now! When they are running well ,you just can't have more fun,when they aren't they suck ASS.Welcome to the Jeepers nation.

m j
05-01-2007, 07:06 PM
I told him it was a stupid thing to buy BEFORE he bought it
I told him it was a stupid thing to buy AFTER he bought it
seeing it flambe at noon of the first day he drove it to work was kinda priceless
Jeeps there is nothing like them

runnning gear looks stock, I was more worried about the CAD but he will be waiting a bit now for lockers I think
Fridays have turned into beer and wheeling on the jobsite at the end of the day

coyote
05-01-2007, 10:38 PM
I've got an 89 YJ and the 4.2L, if truth were told I would have bought a newer one with a 4.0L engine if I was to do it again.
I've had carb problems but I was lucky enough to fix it myself (big thanks to nutbar for the info). Even now I think the auto choke isn't working when the engine is cold.

HEAVY METAL
05-02-2007, 07:21 AM
i just dont get the jeep thing...... and im ok with that....

jhunter
05-02-2007, 07:54 AM
i just dont get the jeep thing...... and im ok with that....

I get the Chev thing, does that count????

bakelite
05-02-2007, 12:53 PM
fuckin eh Jeeps rock...4.2 torque monsterer[36] ;) [15]

m j
05-03-2007, 05:56 PM
I saw the poor thing abandoned this morning
didnt even make it to work this time
anyone care to lay odds if he can make it to and from work in the jeep without a tow on the third try?