PDA

View Full Version : Aluminum or Steel wheels?

titan
04-29-2007, 01:44 PM
I'm getting in some new tires and wheels and I've got to decide if I go for the standard cheap black steelies like I was planning, or get the nicer looking aluminum ones for not much more.

The aluminum look nicer and are probably lighter, but I like rocks and I'm worried the aluminum will break.

Any comments to help me decide?

Murd0c
04-29-2007, 01:58 PM
if you want to get beadlocks in the future get black steelies since you can't weld to aluminum.

Mobular
04-29-2007, 02:04 PM
Get alloys, then paint em black....

Troy
04-29-2007, 02:16 PM
if you want to get beadlocks in the future get black steelies since you can't weld to aluminum.

wrong, you can weld to any type of metal. But in this case go with steel wheels as aluminum ones will crack and a chunk of the wheel will break off if you smoke something hard enough on a trail/rocks etc. A steel wheel will bend or dent but at least you can drive out...

Murd0c
04-29-2007, 02:19 PM
wrong, you can weld to any type of metal. But in this case go with steel wheels as aluminum ones will crack and a chunk of the wheel will break off if you smoke something hard enough on a trail/rocks etc. A steel wheel will bend or dent but at least you can drive out...

ya I know u can weld aluminum but everyone makes steel rocks rings not aluminum ones, so since you can't weld steel to aluminum there would be no point

StinkFinger
04-29-2007, 02:56 PM
i ran aluminum ones hard for years and never had a problem

Halo
05-01-2007, 09:30 PM
ya I know u can weld aluminum but everyone makes steel rocks rings not aluminum ones, so since you can't weld steel to aluminum there would be no point

wrong.

cj5sean
05-01-2007, 11:56 PM
Buy cheap steeles thats what i did and i got my buddy to cut the rings on cnc plasma now i got beadlocks but i went with the nicer steel rims
nicer being stanfeild They got the red and blue lines but the cutouts are cicle vs cooki cuters all my friends say that stanfeild are the best for steel but a little more expensive than cheap rockcrusher cooki cutters. Justmy experince and im more than happy with the steales.

nonhighwayservice
05-02-2007, 12:02 AM
steel all the way!! Can't smash aluminum straight with a hammer or big 'ol rock!

shawnw
05-02-2007, 12:05 AM
steel!

youngun
05-02-2007, 12:24 AM
i have steel wheels for offroad and winter and have aluminum for summer/street

jhunter
05-02-2007, 08:50 AM
I'm a huge fan of the look, strength, and reliablity of the steelies

CromeY
05-03-2007, 06:51 PM
u can so weld aluminum just gotta tig it

steeper
05-03-2007, 11:13 PM
you may not be able to straighten aluminum, but they wont bend as easy, I have hit some serious rocks with aluminum wheels, and good ones are as strong as steel!

You could beedlock the aluminum, just need to use aluminum for the inside ring, outside could be steel as its bolted on!

Guess it depends on your rig, is the extra pounds going to affect you?
if not, steel
are you going to air down a 31 inch tire to 5 lbs?
if so, steel

trailburban
05-03-2007, 11:35 PM
depends if the aluminum is cast or forged or CNC.
aluminum does bend a bit, but steel rims are harder to break.
aluminum wheels hold up to more, but when the break your SOL. steels are repairable on the the trail.
both can be welded and both can have beadlocks.
if you get aluminum do your research first.

Trooper
05-04-2007, 11:01 PM
If you want Aluminium bead locks then buy them dont waste your time welding them and getting them stress releaved after.