PDA

View Full Version : 1994 GMC Left side CV shaft RE & RE

jimmyz
04-26-2007, 07:49 PM
I need to seperate my upper control arm from it's ball joint. What are some options if I don't have to proper tool. Will the trucks own spring pressure along with a large hammer be enought to part the two. The ball joint was put in about 16 months ago. Any tips would be great! Thanks

kootenaycat
04-26-2007, 08:18 PM
Loosen the upper ball joint nut but leave it on and hammer the knuckle where the ball joint stud goes through it. The spring pressure from the torsion bar plus the hammer will free it. I usually seperate both ball joints and swing the whole knuckle out of the way.

jimmyz
04-26-2007, 09:18 PM
I'll put your advice to work on Sat. Thanks for your help!!

toyon35s
04-26-2007, 09:43 PM
go to crappy tire and rent a pickle fork and do it properly,its like 5bucks dont be cheap[cheers]

kootenaycat
04-27-2007, 11:32 PM
go to crappy tire and rent a pickle fork and do it properly,its like 5bucks dont be cheap[cheers]

Properly? You like wrecking ball joint rubber boots? If you've done automotive work for a living for the last 20 years like I have, then you would know that hitting the knuckle around the stud on any balljoint or tierod end is the quickest and easiest way of freeing it. And it doesn't damage anything. Ask any auto mechanic. [cheers]

Growly Gorilla
04-28-2007, 08:29 AM
Properly? You like wrecking ball joint rubber boots? If you've done automotive work for a living for the last 20 years like I have, then you would know that hitting the knuckle around the stud on any balljoint or tierod end is the quickest and easiest way of freeing it. And it doesn't damage anything. Ask any auto mechanic. [cheers]

:s30x: [stupid]