PDA

View Full Version : Help!!

sbags
04-25-2007, 11:40 AM
Trying to do my headgasket and timing chain, but am having a bitch of a time; anyone into helping for some $$? It's an 87 carbed Toy pick-up.

sbags
04-25-2007, 12:09 PM
Basically, I can't get to all the bolts holding the intake manifold on. Do I need to take this off to service the headgasket?

England
04-25-2007, 01:19 PM
pm big ern ........is this for a real truck or the one in the pics LMAO

Hello Kitty
04-25-2007, 01:22 PM
follow the manual. it's all gotta come off. doin a 3.0 right now.

sbags
04-25-2007, 01:51 PM
Been following the manual step by step, it says to undoo all vaccume lines and other crap from the carb, then undo the intake manifold bolts a bit at a time till they are off. All fine and dandy if ya can get to the fuckers...I can't get to the ones on the bottom side of the manifold, which have to come off to get the head off. I can't get a box end or eny end in such a confined area....so much for a 3.5 hour job. I've been out there since 7:30 AM till now and looked through the manual 10 times to have it tell me: undoo bolts...remove intake manifold.....what a fucking joke. It's the ONLY thing holding me up..............:mad:

sbags
04-25-2007, 02:06 PM
follow the manual. it's all gotta come off. doin a 3.0 right now.

What kind of socket are ya using to fit in the area of the intake? I just can't see the bolts and the area is too small for a socket or a wrench....do I take the fender off? Pull the head and then undo the bottom manifold bolts......Done lots of mechanical, but this has me stumped...........

sbags
04-25-2007, 02:22 PM
So here's what the Toyota mechanics say...good luck accessing those bolts with the motor in....take the intake,head and even the exaust manifold off as one unit...then do the seals!!! Foo Mow!!

Toyquad
04-25-2007, 07:59 PM
if its a 22r carb engine, leave the intake on, unhook all wiring vaccum and fuel lines heater hoses etc and take intake off with head. all you gotta take off to get the head off is valve cover, dist. timming chain, exhuast manifold, heater hoses, and power steering pump. its a easy job, done lots of them

sbags
05-05-2007, 03:40 PM
i'm half way there but still need to take the timing chain off.

Big_Ern
05-05-2007, 05:26 PM
you stuck taking the timing chain off now??

sbags
05-06-2007, 01:43 PM
Close, still taking off the last of the brackets. Still need to take off the crank pulley...need to take the oil pan off(?), then the timing cover.....Got all the new parts though!![36]

Big_Ern
05-06-2007, 08:35 PM
oil pan doesn't need to come off for timing cover... Just gotta be gentle getting it off and use silicone on the oilpan when putting the cover back on.

Toyquad
05-06-2007, 09:18 PM
got a good running 22r for sale $300firm

sbags
05-09-2007, 10:06 AM
Thanks!! The motor is good, just needed a head gasket and the chain was a bit noisy; so I thought I would do it. Back to working on it today!![cheers]

shawn_ruley
05-20-2007, 11:20 PM
I just finished doing the head gasket on my '82, ya it wasnt very fun

just take your time and make sure to take notes on where everything came off so you know how to put everything back together

I left the intake on mine, made it a bit akward to pull the head off but it made the job a whole lot easier-make sure to mark the cam position and the crankshaft position before you remove the timing chain!