PDA

View Full Version : locker characteristics ?

Tunabomber
04-23-2007, 11:21 PM
OK so I'm trying to figure out what locker to buy for my yj.

i had a Detroit in my Chevy p/u and i remember it being kinda clunky and unpredictable until i learnt the hole inertia round corners and what fun a painted line could be.

now i wonder what that's gonna be like in a short wheel base jeep :dontknow:

how much cost difference between arb and Detroit ?

jeep is also a daily driver but See's off road every weekend and sometimes pulls trailer.

OK so what i know

Detroit is strong , reliable, proven and tricky to handle.

arb is versatile risky as far as extra parts go

:confused0006: please help tough one here [cheers]

barracuda
04-23-2007, 11:28 PM
was it a detroit or an EZ locker? Detroits are predictable and consistant. I have one in my truck and even with the camper on it is not an issue

MikeWild
04-23-2007, 11:31 PM
I've never had an issue with mine either. Handles the same every time, not sure about the jeep though, unless you did an 8.8 swap! :D but there's my 2 cents.

Tunabomber
04-23-2007, 11:31 PM
was it a detroit or an EZ locker? Detroits are predictable and consistant. I have one in my truck and even with the camper on it is not an issue

detroit all the way man like 8 hundy went in my 14 bolt rear end

heres a pic of the truck i know its not relevant but i miss her lots of good times in her
http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t83/mrtuna/oldcompupics774.jpg

Hello Kitty
04-23-2007, 11:34 PM
your lil girl was your locker ?

ouch.

:eek:

Tunabomber
04-24-2007, 12:00 AM
your lil girl was your locker ?

ouch.

:eek:

[16] [16][16][16][16][16][16][16][16][16][16][16]

brothergrimms
04-24-2007, 12:15 AM
what diff in it you can go power lock if its a 35 its like a posy but it works like a locker its from dana [cheers]

Tunabomber
04-24-2007, 12:34 AM
8.8 ford diff

Apathy
04-24-2007, 07:03 AM
well i run a spool in the rear and a detroit in the front. i have no issues, yes turning sucks PERIOD. When your locked. If your jeep has drive flanges in the front, don't put a detroit in it or put manual hubs and run a detroit. if you want to keep your drive flanges, then get a selectable locker.

My 2 cents

brothergrimms
04-24-2007, 09:46 AM
go detroit or torsen thats what miltary use just hard to find

Apathy
04-24-2007, 10:21 AM
i believe that torsen's are LSD's are they not?

hamberger
04-24-2007, 10:59 AM
If your old truck was clunky then it must have been a Detroit EZlocker
What you want is a Detroit SoftLocker......big difference.....very smooth....more expensive.

ham

atoyot
04-24-2007, 12:24 PM
well i got a detroit and i works great (its in my daily) but knowing what i know now i would have just tossed in a spool!!!!! all the same likeable qualities, without the annoying bang u get when slamming gears(standard)
ans wayy cheaper!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

m j
04-24-2007, 04:48 PM
torsens are easy to find, TruTrac is a torsen style dif.
kinda like an expensive open dif though

redman
04-24-2007, 04:51 PM
i run a detroit in my runner would not know its there unless you actually want tohear your tires scream

NeoAnderson
04-24-2007, 04:57 PM
Spool.
Cheap.
Strong.
Chicks dig it.
:party0010:

Tunabomber
04-24-2007, 05:13 PM
ok soooo what is this spool thing you guys speak off :dontknow:
and there are different types of detroit lockers eh hmmm:confused0006:

Tha_Stepside
04-24-2007, 05:37 PM
i believe that torsen's are LSD's are they not?

From my experience in the big rig world yes they are, but they have some air lockers as well in the loggin rigs. I dont think they are lockers in the pickup world tho

brothergrimms
04-24-2007, 05:49 PM
tru trac garbage torsen they transfer torque to the wheel that on the ground were tru trac doesn't work when one wheel is off the ground had one didn't work worth shit open diff works better

u2slow
04-24-2007, 07:04 PM
torsens are easy to find, TruTrac is a torsen style dif.
kinda like an expensive open dif though

+1

My friend's not very impressed with the brand spankin' new Ford 8.8" Torsen he put in his BII.

barracuda
04-24-2007, 07:22 PM
I have had a tru-trac and i would have to say the money would be better spent on a detroit.

"
MR Bumblebeetuna --ok soooo what is this spool thing you guys speak off
and there are different types of detroit lockers eh hmmm"

there are detroit EZ-locker which are basiclly a lockright (fits in the carrier)

and then there are detroit locker which for most applications are full carrier.

what type of 14 bolt did you have in your old truck was it the full floater rear or the semifloat?

here is a link to give you an idea as to what is out there http://reiderracing.com/differentials.htm

A spool would be the same as welded for handleing chacteristics (no differential action)

highwaystar
04-24-2007, 07:47 PM
from what I researched last year, is that detroit a few years ago revised their lockers somehow and gave them the name softlocker now and its supposed to be alot quieter and less noticeable with same ruggedness. I bought one but never had it installed yet cuz im too poor. and to be honest a bit worried since its daily driver. It was 900$

The detroit ez locker seemed to be like a lockrite cheap in price and quality with lots of people having problems.

You should see if there is an Aussie locker www.offroadlockers.com (http://www.offroadlockers.com) for your application. There wasnt for mine, but apparently there warranty is awesome, and they are quiet and predictable to the extent of getting compared to the softlocker. also cheep! I think big country custome may carry them now? www.bigcountrycustoms.com (http://www.bigcountrycustoms.com)

None of this is experience tho just internet research so take with grain of salt!

Apathy
04-24-2007, 09:38 PM
Mr. Tuna,
To answer your question. A spool completely removes any rotational differance bewteen the axle shafts. You are 100% locked 100% of the time.

They are Cheap, Effective, Predictable (once you learn how to drive with it)

Alot of peopel will tell you to just weld the diffs. But i say that depends on what diff you are running NEVER WELD A FORD 9" (a mini spool costs 50 bucks)

But many people have had success with welding, i personnall y would only do it in Big axles or Toys (they seam to take it OK).

If you are still running Open diffs and want a daily driver, I would suggest a front detroit with lockout hubs and a LSD in the rear.

This would be cheap effective and you could still drive it every day.

(thats what i'm going to do when i build the wifes jeep anyway)

NeoAnderson
04-24-2007, 09:42 PM
An OX locker would be the other one i would recommend.
You can lock or unlock when ya want with the pull of a lever.Just make sure cable is adjusted properly.
And of course because the chicks dig it.[36]

Apathy
04-24-2007, 09:48 PM
I have actually heard more bad about that OX than good. I guess its real picky about when it engages and when it doesn't. This is only what i understand and actually may not be true.. but its worth looking into.

Other than that.. hes.. OX would be a cool application if it does work properly

d0ubledown
04-24-2007, 11:00 PM
i've got selectables front & rear. if its your DD, and you dont want the quirkyness of autolockers...break the bank and go selectable. you'll pay alot..but it'll only hurt once ;)
you'll hear all the good & bad from what ever people are running or have used & hated. best bet is to ask a buddy with the setup youre wanting to get to see if its something you can get used to.

if youre DD'ing it and tow often...i'd go selectable. arbs are great...and i think eaton has elockers available. also, if you want any sort of control in the snow or ice...get selectables.

if you want real off road traction..dont bother with lsd's or torsens if you cant spring for selectables. just spool it up. as pathy said..spools basically affix the axles to the ring gear...just as if the spider gears were welded. 100% traction 100% of the time.

chicks dig chirping tires :cool:

Tunabomber
04-24-2007, 11:01 PM
:confused0006: hmmm theres alot to think about there
thanx you guys are a great reference [cheers]

m j
04-25-2007, 04:48 PM
if you like a hassle free reliable unit get a detroit
if you like problem prone expensive toys get a selectable
a LS is a waste of money