PDA

View Full Version : Buying from the US

godtool
04-23-2007, 11:02 PM
I'm thinking about buying a locker and mile marker hubs from summit racing in the US. From what I have found out I will have to pay:

1. Exchange rate

2. Canada\BC taxes 14%

3. Duty (all the products I'm buying are made in the US so there should be none or?) I'll call the border in morning, ph #?:confused0006:

4. Brokerage fees. These may be included by UPS but I was told they could be anywhere from 7-17%. I will phone UPS in morning.

Is it worth it?

To buy the same locker up here is 2.5 times more than the US Price. New hubs are also cheaper.

Summit vs here:

Powertrax Locrite Locker for a chevy 14 bolt, 10.5 ring gear... 326.00 US, vs. 700 Canadian
Mile Marker hubs, mmk423, for my 1975 Dana 44... 96.00 US for both, vs warn 9072, 190.00

New is always nice but used can be a good deal too...

crazylike
04-23-2007, 11:07 PM
its only duty free if it was made in Canada.. brokerage fee's go by weight cost and what it is. (a toy or a needed thing) be very carefull what ya order price could end up being more then its worth. Or ask the people at the store if they will send it up as a 10$ gift. then put the real receipt and stuff in an envelope and mail it to you. this way theres no duty taxes nothing. :)

titan
04-23-2007, 11:24 PM
I thought due to NAFTA there was no duty if it was made in Canada or the US? I don't know if there is PST, but I'm pretty certain there is GST.

UPS has you by the nuts and charges something like 45% of the declared value! I recently bought a siping tool for $80US and when it showed up on top of the taxes and UPS shipping and handling there was almost $40CDN in UPS brokerage fees they don't tell you about on their web site! My wife paid while I was out and don't remember the exact cost, but it ended up making me never want to use UPS for cross border shipping again.

The eBay tip is to use the standard US Postal Service instead of UPS. The USPS has ground express shipping or something that is just as fast as UPS with a tracking number and everything, but no brokerage.

Or may grey hound? Or just do what crazylike suggests.

brothergrimms
04-24-2007, 11:04 AM
my cost here is 14bolt locker is 495.00. but ask simmit who they deal with for shipping thats way it still cheap for you [cheers]

godtool
04-24-2007, 11:32 AM
495 for which locker brothersgrimm? Is that canadian $?

Kinslayer
04-24-2007, 12:09 PM
UPS and Fedex fuck you with 'brokerage' fees. it's funny because you still pay brokerage fees when shipping via USPS, but Canada Post doesn't have 'advanced brokerage services' [blah] , you don't pay very much if anything.

m j
04-24-2007, 05:51 PM
do not ship UPS or FedEx if you can avoid it
summit will ship USPS but you have to specify it
UPS is great until you cross a border but the yanks do not know this.

summit charges a $11usd handling fee now plus shipping, that and exchange is all you will get charged from them
when you pick your order up you will owe taxes. thats it unless the parts are made overseas

brothergrimms
04-24-2007, 06:34 PM
yes it is canadain funds dude i buy lots of parts for myself and buddys[cheers]

brothergrimms
04-24-2007, 06:37 PM
its a detroit dude

Apathy
04-24-2007, 11:13 PM
OR... you buy a yank thats on this board a half case of beer and some of BC's finest and he brings it back accross the boarder for you just because he thinks its all BS!

dude.. what is it that you would like from the states

I shold be able to get those warn hubs for about 110 US brand new

Nafta only gives you preferential treatment. reduced duty on some things and none on others..

d0ubledown
04-25-2007, 12:13 AM
which shops did you check out in canada? have you tried NSOR or national4wd centers? tell em what it can cost you to buy US...alot of the times they can work out a deal which is hard to pass up. you'll pay up the nose in brokerage fees if you ship int'l through UPS or fedex or any other courier.

USPS charges minimal brokerage...and you wont get dicked around if youre not home to accept the package. with USPS, if youre not home to pick up the parcel, it'll go to the nearest post office to you, and not some stupid shipping/receiving warehouse in butfuck nowhere (this happened to me with UPS.)

if you can get a shop in canada to give you a better price than what you've been quoted the extra cost buying locally can offset the rediculous brokerage/handling/shipping fees. thats what i did with my locker & numerous parts. of course being closer to the border, i usually ship to WA & pick up, pay taxes when coming back.

duty is payable to items NOT made in Nort America (canada, USA, mexico). however it may be hit & miss since customs might not always know where an item is made. i didnt have to pay duty when i purchased my arb bumer...

Redneck Cowgirl
04-25-2007, 12:35 AM
get it shipped to a address in the states... then pick it up a drive it up your self, say it was a gift[cheers] gets you around that whole thing, it works. I am super lucky cause I got a friend whos from the states so they dont even ask us when were coming back cause shes got states plates[36] Or get it shipped "gift" that works but dont have a paper trail sent with it :mad0215:

godtool
04-25-2007, 07:05 AM
Thanks for all the info[36] . I'm certain others will find this thread good stuff to know. So.... USPS is the way to go, and try to send it as a gift or contact across the border. I spoke to a senior customs official yesterday and he said products made in North America are considered made here, even if a part of the product was ordered in previously from Mexico, or Germany, etc.

I was also told by a freind on www.chwk4x4.com, bcsuvan, that brokerage can still be charged on USPS? Is that a fact? I'll double check with him:cool:

As for a detroit locker and mile marker hubs, I bought them thru Pat's Driveline and Canada Wide, thanks to a member here on funinbc hooking me up with Pats;) . Comparing parts to "Summit" and "Performance", I could get a better deal with Performance than Summit. Compared to the prices at Pats and Canada Wide, Pat's and Canada Wides prices were a little more than Summit and Performance, but buying the parts from Pats and Canada Wide, plus being a member of funinbc, I got some really good deals, good service, and the peace of mind of not dealing with unexpected brokerage fees. Plus I put a bit of money into Canadian pockets and I can deal with local bc folk if I need help with installation or questions about warranty. The tech guys at Summit (Irah), and Alex at Performance were also really good to help with questions and tips.

Plus getting a few decals:party0010:

I hope those Canucks kick butt on the Ducks! (if they can continue to play like they did in game 7)

Apathy
04-25-2007, 08:01 AM
listen up---- I LIVE IN TACOMA----- i go home every other weekend and back to North Van.. would somebody like something?

m j
04-25-2007, 05:36 PM
yes USPS charges a brokerage fee sometimes, but it is so cheap compared to UPS it is laughable
like $4 vs $50

if the shipper is real savvy at customs he will classify it as something that has little to no value or a gift. shady but cool.
I bought two intercoolers, one came up as used diesel engine parts for testing purposes, duty free.
(ebay retailer that has a bad rep on the turbo forums but has been flawless in my dealings)

87pathy, if the offer is still available I would compensate you for stopping at Randy's next time I order.

Apathy
04-25-2007, 08:25 PM
we could probably work something out. I hate the gov taking my money for no reason.

I'll be around for a while and at least 1 time per month i drive past randies

godtool
04-26-2007, 08:50 AM
Righty on for next time... locker in front diff one day...

titan
04-26-2007, 09:14 PM
If you're going to be close to ferries during a weekday you can get it shipped to http://www.tsbshipping.com/ which will only charge you a couple bucks. They're just a few blocks south of the border.