PDA

View Full Version : I NEED HELP PLEASE!!!!!

CromeY
04-21-2007, 02:47 PM
k so my jeep was stuck in third(is a automatic) and it wouldnt go down gears always in 3rd so i got a tranny from the wreckers and took 2 wekes to put it in and i went to test drive it today and the fucking piece of fucking god damn shit was still in 3rd so i ahve no fuckign clue why its in 3rd doese anyone kno what this would ahppen is a 4.0l engine and a automatic tranny stuck in third but i can make it goe to second or first if i move the shifter down but if its in drive only 3rd no 1st r second please help me i am so damn fustrated

England
04-21-2007, 03:13 PM
pm nutbar

Always broke
04-21-2007, 03:14 PM
Sounds like your linkage is fubared check to see if it is broken or a rock is stuck in there somewhere or it could be in the shifter ???? Good luck[36]

crazylike
04-21-2007, 04:50 PM
Automatic transmission malfunctions may be caused by 5 general conditions.
poor engine performance, improper adjustments, hydraulic malfunctions, mechanical malfunctions or malfunctions of the computer or its signal network.
diagnosis of these problems should always begin with a check of the easily repaired items. fluid check level and condition make sure proper DOT fluid level....dextron II ATF.... shift linkage adjustment and throttle linkage adjustment. after that take for road test if not right the book say take it to the dealers tech and prepare to be raped..... lol i would also recommend checking for air lines leaking or not hooked up... hope this helps.

pumpkin
04-21-2007, 05:56 PM
What year is it? The newer ones are computer controled, it may be a bad computer.

DirtyComanche
04-21-2007, 06:27 PM
All AW4s are computer controlled...

I'm not one who 'knows' much about the tranny computer - but I betcha it's bad. Go to the yard, grab TCM, replace.

CromeY
04-21-2007, 09:30 PM
wel belive its a electric sensor thing iunno imma try it tommroew but tnx for info hope it works fingers crossed

CromeY
04-24-2007, 07:57 PM
so we changed the electronic doo hickey on the tranny and new computer and still wont shift dwon from third while in drive it shifts to over drive and bk down the third but wont go to first or second hmmmm anyone got any more ideas i couold try?

toyon35s
04-24-2007, 08:04 PM
try gettin a yota[36] [36]

CromeY
04-24-2007, 08:25 PM
i was gonna get a 4runner actually but this jeep was a total steal soooo im still looking for oen though

NLWrangler
04-26-2007, 07:09 AM
Bad TPS?
I had to sell my 90XJ because we couldn't find the gremlin in the tranny. Automatics are a nightmare. Forget the Toyota, its a POS lol... just get an XJ with a 5spd. The AX-15s are far superior to the AW4.
Better to have a Jeep that doesn't work than a Toyota that does lol

redman
04-26-2007, 07:20 AM
Bad TPS?
I had to sell my 90XJ because we couldn't find the gremlin in the tranny. Automatics are a nightmare. Forget the Toyota, its a POS lol... just get an XJ with a 5spd. The AX-15s are far superior to the AW4.
Better to have a sheep that doesn't work than a Toyota that does lol

i dont thni so :fighting0071:

Lynx
04-26-2007, 08:11 AM
sure it's stuck in 3rd? Torque converter lock-up solenoid?

BrentG
04-26-2007, 08:31 AM
I don't even have to read anything in the post... the title, and forum room say it all.....
I NEED HELP PLEASE!!!!!......... (Jeep talk)

^^^Thats your problem^^^

bakelite
04-26-2007, 08:48 AM
I don't even have to read anything in the post... the title, and forum room say it all.....
I NEED HELP PLEASE!!!!!......... (Jeep talk)

^^^Thats your problem^^^

[16] lotta help eh?

Is it behaving exactly the same as the transmission you took out?

CromeY
04-26-2007, 04:23 PM
yup exactly

DirtyComanche
04-26-2007, 09:20 PM
Google awshifting, and buy that. It will fix it.

(Its a manual tranny controller)

Okay, honestly that shouldn't be the correct solution. Have you verified that the TCM is getting power and is hooked up correctly? No chafed wires, burned fuses, corroded connectors? I don't know what sensors are relevent to it, but I will say the TPS (the engine doesn't really run right if it's out of whack) and the MAP sensor. There's also a kickdown linkage, which is connected to the TB and needs to be fairly tight or the tranny won't downshift. The MAP sensor is on the firewall by the brake booster - normally.

The TQ isn't the issue, if it was it would cause it to stall when he stops.

I'd be more help, but I know little about the wiring for the AW4. However, they are one bullet-proof tranny and rarely have internal issues. That is, as long as you don't put synthetic fluid in it.

NLWrangler
04-27-2007, 07:26 AM
Dirty'manche is right... the mechanics of the AW4 are near bullet-proof, but there's a fair bit of electronics involved.
The downside to all this is that you can't return electrical parts ie: try something, see if it works and return the part if it doesn't. In the long run, its going to be much cheaper to just bite the bullet, bring it to a tranny shop, have 'em test the electronics and then buy the part they tell you has failed. You can still install it yourself.

CromeY
04-27-2007, 11:39 AM
thank you gusy for thew info very helpfull ill check all thoes thing today dirty comanche