PDA

View Full Version : shakels

jesslee
04-16-2007, 04:55 PM
i wanna put some new larger shakels on my samurai as the ones on there as of now are the stock set, and i was wondering about drop link shakels over regular ones i guess, pros and cons of each or if you could mix it up a bit .. put drop link on the front and regulars on the back.???????????? any info would be kick ass.

another thing i herd about the drop links is if you hammer yur brakes hard you can get into a pretty hairy situation. thanks ![36] [36]

titan
04-17-2007, 12:18 AM
They certainly aren't as popular as they were a few years ago. Although that may be due to the fact the hard core are doing coil conversions or starting with TJs and XJs, etc more often now.

I've only seen one guy run them, the full revolvers on a YJ, and said they didn't do that much for him. Good for his RTI score, but in practice didn't really help out. But he was locked, and I'd say the the big thing folding shackles do is let you keep both tires on the ground so you don't need a locker.

One nice advantage is you can have a longer spring without changing anything. So you can toss the short front springs in the trash and put the rears in the front and put CJ front springs in the rear or hyundai pony springs in the rear which will improve the ride.

So go for it. Call up Breeze industries in Coquitlam and enjoy the better ride and improved traction for cheaper than many other mods.

Apathy
04-17-2007, 10:52 AM
revolvers and the like, are going to cause rear end jacking. They unload underl oad. If that makes any sence. My buddy ran them for a while, but he flexed so much they would flip backwards and bind up. run straight bar toyota style. They work and are simple.

jesslee
04-17-2007, 04:50 PM
sweet, thanks much for the info [cheers]

Apathy
04-18-2007, 04:45 PM
oh ya, and my buddy had them on a sami