PDA

View Full Version : Paint for your frame?

Tha_Stepside
04-16-2007, 09:26 AM
Im gonna be painting the frame in a week, and dont really know what kind of paint to use. I want something rugged that wont rust in a month. Doesnt have to be glossy or anything, im thinking chipguard, what have you guys had luck with?

Jeepnut
04-16-2007, 09:32 AM
Use a DP etching primer then paint it with what ever you want. I did that with mine then just sprayed mine with a black rustnot for easy touch up's and its lasted for years. The DP is bomb proof

bakelite
04-16-2007, 09:33 AM
http://www.por15.com/

Lordco has it, not cheap but goes a long way.[cheers]

Always broke
04-16-2007, 09:39 AM
http://www.por15.com/

Lordco has it, not cheap but goes a long way.[cheers]Hey Joe do you have to buy all three steps????? looks like a long process but i'm sure it works i have to do a frame as well pm me back or post here thanx[36]

bakelite
04-16-2007, 09:52 AM
I only used it on pretty old rusty or weathered steel, it's almost like powdercoat to get off if you have to weld later.

"POR-15 is a high-tech, high performance rust-preventive coating designed for application directly on rusted or seasoned metal surfaces"...... and it works great but for new or shiny metal I think you would have to use the Metal-Ready stuff or some kind of etcher. I just wire brush then wash it with wax and grease remover if it's oily. Once you open the can though use some saran wrap or something if you don't use it all, the stuff just seals the can if there is nothing there. lol. [cheers]

hrd4mud
04-16-2007, 02:06 PM
A friend used to use rubberized rocker guard, comes in a spraybomb. It was pretty reasonable back then, but that was a good 10 years ago now i guess. Now I chose to use mud to cover my frame[36]

Redneck Cowgirl
04-16-2007, 02:13 PM
Dont know if this is in your price range, but rhino lining is your beat beat:confused0006:

StinkFinger
04-16-2007, 02:17 PM
dont rino lile your frame youll regret it

i have foun the buest thing is just basic automotive paint spraid with a gun no primer jus masivly over reduce your fist 2 coats so that it soaks in the 2 more coats normaly mixed
if your going to prime it dp is the best

Tha_Stepside
04-16-2007, 03:39 PM
that por15 stuff looks good, i think its within my $200 frame paint budget, how much am i gonna need of that stuff?

bakelite
04-16-2007, 03:43 PM
If you don't want to buy any more than you need, just get a quart and see how far it goes. Best to only buy what you need as it doesn't like to sit around once you open it.

Redneck Cowgirl
04-16-2007, 03:44 PM
dont rino lile your frame youll regret it

i have foun the buest thing is just basic automotive paint spraid with a gun no primer jus masivly over reduce your fist 2 coats so that it soaks in the 2 more coats normaly mixed
if your going to prime it dp is the best

Why would you regret it? thats what I was thinking of doing to my truck:confused0006:

bakelite
04-16-2007, 03:47 PM
If you rhino line your frame and there is any rust it will spread under the liner. Then your rhino liner starts flaking off and you wasted a bunch of money.

Tha_Stepside
04-16-2007, 04:16 PM
If you rhino line your frame and there is any rust it will spread under the liner. Then your rhino liner starts flaking off and you wasted a bunch of money.

Very true, we tried that for a few years on our trucks at work and it rusted right off.

Redneck Cowgirl
04-16-2007, 04:21 PM
:confused0006: thanx good to know, but its a good idea on my new ranger?

Tha_Stepside
04-16-2007, 04:24 PM
didnt even last a year, if you do rhino line your truck, sandblast the frame and plug your holes or you will be drilling for a long time too.

Redneck Cowgirl
04-16-2007, 04:26 PM
[cheers] thanx.. good luck with you frame :D