PDA

View Full Version : got brakes?

captain
04-11-2007, 06:03 PM
having a problem with the brakes on my 87 4runner (well i basically have none). changed the master cylinder about 4 months ago, didnt really improve them. now the pedal goes right to the floor. tried bleeding the whole system but nothing. no leaks (fluid level stays up). if anyone has ever had this problem or has any suggestions please let me know. thanks

Toyquad
04-11-2007, 06:07 PM
replaced master with a new or rebuild?

hows the rear brakes? out of adjustment rear brakes cause alot of peddle travel.

if you got all the air out of the system, brakes are all good and adjusted,and theres no leaks, then i'd suspect that the master is bypassing interanlly.

not sure what engine you have, but if you replace the master, order one for a 89 4 runner with v6. it has a bigger bore, which pushes more fluid, gives you better brakes

Pegleg
04-11-2007, 06:20 PM
he didnt bench bleed,so prob a shit load of air

captain
04-11-2007, 06:36 PM
thanks toyquad. talked to nezzy and im gonna take m/c off and bleed the shit out of it and see if that fixes it.

ToyotaHEAD
04-11-2007, 11:52 PM
If you forgot to bench bleed your M/C, you can "bench bleed" it right in the truck. Just pull off the rear brake line from the M/C. Put finger over the port, and get someone to slowly depress the brake peddle. Have a rag handy fluid will come out. When ur buddy lets off the brake peddle, be sure to not let any air go back in the port. 2 or 3 pumps and the M/C should be primed and ready to go. :D

Kinslayer
04-12-2007, 08:51 AM
Yeah, I did that with my blazer, works good. Make sure you have 1 metric asston of brake fluid on hand though!

captain
04-13-2007, 05:48 PM
replaced master and booster; brakes work like new. no more using the curb to stop :)