PDA

View Full Version : Solenoid problem with 87 YJ

Stoleit
04-11-2007, 08:15 AM
Help guys!!!!
I broke down last night. This has happend twice now and it looks like my ground or power wire are shorting out on the Solenoid. It actually lit the power wire on fire. Its like its keeping the starer ignighted. *cannot spell worth...*

Does anyone have any sujestions?????[e] :fighting0080:

In The Zone
04-11-2007, 09:12 AM
Move it away from the power wire....

Stoleit
04-11-2007, 09:43 AM
Thank you! Big help...:confused0006:

Kinslayer
04-11-2007, 10:49 AM
Yeah, shorting out means they are touching - bad news

If the one wire just started smoking when you were starting it this means that that wire isn't big enough or has a crappy connection - take it off, wire brush where it connects to (positive post to starter for the positive wire), I'm GUESSING it was probably negative wire that started smoking as it usually is - disconnect it, wire brush the frame or firewall or wherever it connects, tighten it back up. Maybe throw some dielectric grease on there to keep it from rusting, then as a preventative measure go and buy a big fat ground strap from cambodian tire or where ever and run one from your engine block to the frame. Make sure the strap from your battery to the frame/wherever is also clean and fat.

Jeepnut
04-11-2007, 11:18 AM
replace the starter.....its a fairly common problem on those things

Stoleit
04-11-2007, 11:27 AM
Yeah, shorting out means they are touching - bad news

If the one wire just started smoking when you were starting it this means that that wire isn't big enough or has a crappy connection - take it off, wire brush where it connects to (positive post to starter for the positive wire), I'm GUESSING it was probably negative wire that started smoking as it usually is - disconnect it, wire brush the frame or firewall or wherever it connects, tighten it back up. Maybe throw some dielectric grease on there to keep it from rusting, then as a preventative measure go and buy a big fat ground strap from cambodian tire or where ever and run one from your engine block to the frame. Make sure the strap from your battery to the frame/wherever is also clean and fat.

Wonderful i will try tonight. Or just replace that stupid thing! Thank you!drama

8T9YJ
04-11-2007, 12:34 PM
:happy0045: Put a Chevy in it!![36]

NeoAnderson
04-11-2007, 05:12 PM
drama

Stoleit
04-13-2007, 08:25 AM
Well i replaced the solenoid and the starter and battery.. I hope this works for a while.. lol[36]

Jeepnut
04-13-2007, 08:53 AM
That should take care of it......