PDA

View Full Version : W......T......F.....?!?!? "Quality Gears"?????!!!

Fuzzydog
04-10-2007, 09:54 PM
What, if any, have your experiences been with "Quality Gears", the company. I just got a Dana 30 Master rebuild kit for my 90 Cherokee and it is all f'd up!!!!

1. There is no front pinion oil baffle - clearly shown in the Dana 30 service manual which states " ...oil baffle is damaged in removal and must be replaced on reassembly..."
2. There are 2 seals which look like axle tube seals but they are different sizes and neither of them fits snugly on an axle shaft - there is at least 2-3mm gap between the sealing surface of the seal and the axleshaft.

3. The ring gear bolts are too big.

4. There is a bag of shims with some sort of interlocking outside spacers that I don't know what the heck are for....

This sucks, this really REALLY sucks, esp for $219 before taxes. I am taking it back tomm and they better take it back because there's no way that was what I asked for.

The kit comes in a big flat box that has the kit number labeled on the outside. I double checked with their online catalog and it is the right kit number...but, on the inside there is a cardboard sheet with all the parts laid out on it and then it is shrink wrapped. NOWHERE on that shrinkwrapped cardboard does it state the kit number. There is no writing on it at all. I figure either at the factory or warehouse someone put the wrong cardboard tray in the box. go fuck yourself go fuck yourself go fuck yourself go fuck yourself go fuck yourself go fuck yourself

And the worst part is that even in their online catalog they don't show that pinion baffle as part of the kit.

Has anyone used a "quality gear" kit and had similar or different experience?

Big_Ern
04-10-2007, 09:58 PM
I'd order from randy's R&P

Nutbar
04-11-2007, 12:38 AM
I always use Yukon Gear (Randy's Ring and Pinion) never had any real complaints with their stuff.

In The Zone
04-11-2007, 07:40 AM
Ditto Randys way cheaper a and way better Yukon every time no complaints always the right parts for the right price and on time 2 days 3 tops..

U sure you got the right application?
typically the kits a re vacuum sealed to a board of cardboard so tampering is evident..

Fuzzydog
04-11-2007, 07:46 AM
U sure you got the right application?
typically the kits a re vacuum sealed to a board of cardboard so tampering is evident..

I'm pretty sure it's not the right application. The vacuum sealed cardboard just sits in the box loosely and there are no markings on the vacuum sealed cardboard. so if anyone ever took 2 different ones out they would have no way of knowing which box to put them back in. I'm guessing someone at the factory or warehouse dropped a couple/few of them and just threw them back in the boxes and they are all mixed up.

Randy's is in the US, right? How do you get stuff through customs and shipping in 2-3 days????

Fuzzydog
04-11-2007, 10:42 AM
Interesting.....we took the tag off my front diff, and they looked it up that way and came up with a different kit number. also sez my front diff is an 89 cherokee (definitely has abs, I took off the sensors and the rings are on the shafts) I don't think that whether its an 89 or 90 diff would make any difference - I bet that having the tag identified it as a non-disconnect ABS axle and so they looked up the correct part number. We'll see what happens when it gets here tomm.

In The Zone
04-11-2007, 12:09 PM
I'm pretty sure it's not the right application. The vacuum sealed cardboard just sits in the box loosely and there are no markings on the vacuum sealed cardboard. so if anyone ever took 2 different ones out they would have no way of knowing which box to put them back in. I'm guessing someone at the factory or warehouse dropped a couple/few of them and just threw them back in the boxes and they are all mixed up.

Randy's is in the US, right? How do you get stuff through customs and shipping in 2-3 days????

I have my own border broker ,,,, but typically just use UPS the charges are minimal and yes 3 locations the closest to us is in Everett Washington.

i ussually do not trust the Tag(if it is even there) unless i am sure it is all oem i find running the #s of the passenger side tube more revealing ..

sj-x 500
04-11-2007, 05:38 PM
so long story short you ordered the wrong kit

Fuzzydog
04-11-2007, 06:19 PM
Actually no, I didn't order the wrong kit. I'm pretty sure a 1989 cherokee ltd non-disco ABS front D30 axle is identical to a 1990 cherokee ltd non-disco ABS front D30 axle. Feel free to correct me if I am wrong on this.

Also, I looked up the new kit # they gave me and its total bs. I want a master overhaul kit and the new kit isn't that. We'll see when it gets here but in the meantime I am checking out randy's as recommended here.

Nutbar
04-11-2007, 06:28 PM
The carrier and pinion bearings and seals and inner axles are the same 89 to 90 only on the non Disconect type but all the outers (wheel bearings stub shafts brakes knuckles are all different. 89 and prior is AMC and 90 and newer is chrysler and most of the time for some reason the axle seals are wrong in any of the overhaul kits:dontknow: it's a Jeep thing I guess.
on the disconect axles only the carrier and pinion bearings and pinion seal is the same early to late everything else is different.

Fuzzydog
04-12-2007, 09:13 AM
I'm not questioning you Nutbar, I'm pretty darn sure you are more knowledgeable on this than I am....but...if you have more info...

Yukon gear lists R&P - YG D30R-411R for Dana 30 reverse rotation and shows application of 1984 to 2001 XJ so I am assuming (I know, not a good thing) that the bolt holes in the ring gear would be the same for all those years....

The kit that "Quality Gear" lists for this is the one that I got, but the ring gear bolts supplied in the kit, do not fit either of the D30 ring gears that I have 3.55 and 4.10.
so this kit they delivered to me was for a 1990 XJ D30. According to the tag on my diff it is an 89 XJ D30. Shouldn't the ring gear bolts on both those diffs be identical? or did Dana change the ring gear bolt size when Jeep switched from AMC to Chrysler?

Fuzzydog
04-12-2007, 01:10 PM
LOL- this is so sad, it's funny.

to summarize:
I asked for a master install kit for my D30 in my 1990 jeep cherokee non-disconnect ABS front axle.
I got a kit with the correct bearings, pinion seal and pinion nut and incorrect axle seals, shims and ring gear bolts. the oil baffle was missing and there were no shims for the carrier bearings.

took the kit back, got the tag from the diff and they tell me "OH, you have a 1989 axle under your jeep - that's a different kit" I was suitably confused but they order the kit and it arrived today...

a much smaller box with the same correct bearings, pinion seal and pinion nut as the first kit but NO ring gear bolts, NO shims at all and NO oil baffle. GEE, silly me, I guess the 1989 D30 doesn't need ring gear bolts, shims and oil baffle.....

I'm taking advice from the board and going with Yukon gear.
Of course now I have my D30 all apart....and have to wait for the parts...

Big_Ern
04-12-2007, 01:17 PM
throw away the d30 and solve all your problems:p

Fuzzydog
04-12-2007, 01:27 PM
I hear ya, but what else can I put in there without basically building a whole new front end...?

Big_Ern
04-12-2007, 01:34 PM
no idea. What side drop is the pumpkin? either a d44 or toy axle shouldn't be too hard

Fuzzydog
04-12-2007, 01:38 PM
pumpkin is on the passenger side.

hmmmm - toy axles...I like it! I know where I can find a really old landcruiser that hasn't moved in years (hopefully not because of a broken front axle...)

Big_Ern
04-12-2007, 01:40 PM
should be a perfect width for ya. an pumkin is on the passenger side for ya too. what kind of suspension is in your truck? just trying to think how hard it might be to swap.

Fuzzydog
04-12-2007, 01:54 PM
I'm 75% of the way through putting in a rustys 6.5" long arm kit. actually like 90% done - so long arm/coil spring suspension. I have a rustys HD trac bar that mounts to the stock location - will likely get moved up top of the axle sometime this spring when I address the steering.

Big_Ern
04-12-2007, 02:16 PM
hmm, little tougher than leafs to swap in something new, but you should be able to make new brackets on the toy diff by copying the d30. does the long arm kit include new diff mounts?

Fuzzydog
04-12-2007, 02:30 PM
the long arms attach at the stock control arm points on the axle. It wouldn't be too hard to fab up some new spring perches though...

Big_Ern
04-12-2007, 02:50 PM
put the toy in with the longarm kit then[36]

DirtyComanche
04-12-2007, 04:34 PM
The kit from randy's works fine. I used it for my D30 - it was cherry other than messing around with converting the vac disco to a standard style. Then I blew up that POS. That's another story though. They give the same kit for a vac disco or non axle IIRC, so it has lots of seals for you to choose from.

Quality gear does NOT have the best reputation.

Nutbar
04-12-2007, 06:43 PM
I'm not questioning you Nutbar, I'm pretty darn sure you are more knowledgeable on this than I am....but...if you have more info...

Yukon gear lists R&P - YG D30R-411R for Dana 30 reverse rotation and shows application of 1984 to 2001 XJ so I am assuming (I know, not a good thing) that the bolt holes in the ring gear would be the same for all those years....

The kit that "Quality Gear" lists for this is the one that I got, but the ring gear bolts supplied in the kit, do not fit either of the D30 ring gears that I have 3.55 and 4.10.
so this kit they delivered to me was for a 1990 XJ D30. According to the tag on my diff it is an 89 XJ D30. Shouldn't the ring gear bolts on both those diffs be identical? or did Dana change the ring gear bolt size when Jeep switched from AMC to Chrysler?

yes the gear sets are the same for all reverse rotation 30s(High pinion),there is a carrier change for high and low gear sets (moves the ring gear closer to the pinion on the lower gear ratios I think the split is 3.55 and down and 3.73 and up)but all the rest of the internals stay the same, and I have never run into a 30 that used different ring gear bolts as a matter of fact it is the same bolts for a 30, 35, and 44 I have seen them have different size heads on them but are still the same thread size

Apathy
04-13-2007, 08:06 AM
just to give props to yukon, they are very complte kits. in my 9" kit it came with 2 different ring gear bolt lengths, depending on your carrier.

go yukon on your install kits

Fuzzydog
04-13-2007, 09:45 AM
Quality gear does NOT have the best reputation.

NOW you tell me! [16]

I know, I should have asked first....:dontknow: