PDA

View Full Version : Broken Ranger.... HELP!

Kaitlyn
04-10-2007, 10:49 AM
So I took my truck out 4x4ing easter weekend at stave, and we were just about to wrap up the day, but I had to take it through just ONE more friggen hole.. Needless to say I got 'er stuck. Now This was three days ago.. and my boyfriend and I have have been working on her non stop to get it running. She doesnt want to start.. We've replaced the computer, put in a new distributor, changed the coil, put in all new spark plugs. We went over everything.. She's got spark, and fuel, and a crappy but working battery..

Any one with any sugguestions?!?!?
This is my everyday driver I need to get 'er goin.. oh and the truck is a 1987 2.9L

04-10-2007, 11:07 AM
MAF sensor.I think that is the one.I might even have 1 here for ya i will look but if they even see water on the horizon they quit and it wont start.Check with in the zone he will know for sure.

REDNECK-WELDING
04-10-2007, 11:30 AM
my friends did the same thing and it was the map sensor....we tryed everything that you did ...try it

BrentG
04-10-2007, 12:00 PM
its got fuel?
I know those has a sensitive inertia switch by the passenger foot well/firewall
a little button

In The Zone
04-10-2007, 01:09 PM
if the inertia switch is triggered you will not here it prime the system ..key on engine off you should here the in tank pump go whirrrr for like 4-6 seconeds... if not reset the switch

engine off key on on with switch reset you should have 20 -25 psi running as high as 40+ psi while running a fuel pressure gauge will help u determine this attached to the schrader valve...on the fuel rail drivers side

check for fuel relays as well as the ecc relay... both are know for going but if u say u got spark from the coil and from the plugs then be sure your injectors are getting the required signal from the ecm...
the 2.9 is a speed density mass air pressure system not a Maf system

big difference... good luck

Kaitlyn
04-10-2007, 08:15 PM
Thanks for all the help guys, My boyfriend and I went out to work on my truck today after work, and the bloody thing started!! Beats me.. lol

In The Zone
04-11-2007, 08:44 AM
most likeley the inertia reset it self stupid crash crap.....

Just think all those new parts and all it probally needed was a good swift kick...

Kaitlyn
04-11-2007, 01:29 PM
K bloody thing is making my mad.. sometimes it starts sometimes it doenst. Batterys fine, disdtributor fine, coil fine, computer fine, alternator fine, spark plugs fine....... Its getting fuel, and it will start if we jump it or hook up the battery charger.. but its a good battery.. Could it be the starter??

In The Zone
04-11-2007, 01:36 PM
when you say it starts does it stay running normally or pewter out and die?
if it was the starter u may want to inspect your leads on the starter for contamination ie mud..

if your batt reads 12v it may seem good but lack the suffecient voltage and amperage to keep the efi system fiiring if it is only barley turning over and not holding a charge i would supect batt and alternator...

ideally your batt should read 12.5-13volts not running and 14volts+ when running

Kaitlyn
04-11-2007, 01:43 PM
Thats exactly what the batterys reading.. Ill check for mud on the leads...
but its staying running

In The Zone
04-11-2007, 01:49 PM
If it is staying running then It must be in the starting circut either relay or starter it self.. mud aint good for em...

Kaitlyn
04-16-2007, 12:11 PM
Well finally got my truck running good.. Turns out it was the starter, and computer... and a bunch of other things.. But now when ever i step on the gas it makes a ticking noise.... Like its coming from my tranny

hrd4mud
04-16-2007, 02:44 PM
Put a forsale sign it it, and have the stareo up loud when they taker for a testdrive :dontknow:

Sorry had to say it.

Is it an auto or manual tranny?

BC-SE
04-18-2007, 12:08 AM
....Poasting for 89Ford.....

should stop buy my house some time if the trucks in the drive way...dont be a strainger....give ya a nother opinion on the..noise...

Kaitlyn
04-18-2007, 08:57 AM
Its a manual

hrd4mud
04-18-2007, 09:59 AM
First thing Id check is the ujoints, get under with a prybar and twist em good while looking for movement in them, when under stress they may make noise if they got mud in them. Give em a good greesing see if thet stops it.

Next thing Id try is drain the tranny fluid, if it was submerged enough could have gotten contaminated or something.

If that doesnt stop it and the fluid looked ok, could be the clutch or tranny, Id drive it till she gets worse and then pull it out.

I used to have a Mustang with a manual, made a funny noise when gave er a lot of gas, and also made a bit of noise when releasing clutch, figured it was the pressure plate, but was actually the springs inside the clutch disk were broken.

hornythrony
04-18-2007, 06:24 PM
i know this might sound stupid but check for an exhaust leak theres a connector down there and my buddy had the same problem but wouldnt listen to me and we fixed it and the tick was gone KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid) best saying ever