PDA

View Full Version : cherokee lift

CromeY
04-08-2007, 08:35 PM
whats the cheapest and easiest way to lift a 1989 jeep cherokee????

Melvin
04-08-2007, 09:10 PM
Buy a lift kit. A well designed one at that. Remember its not only the saftey of ur self but of the others on the road as well.

DirtyComanche
04-08-2007, 09:12 PM
I could tell you all about cheap. The junkyard parts leafs and coils. The little-used factory alignment shims. Hunting through the monroe catalouge for shocks that will fit.

But every time I talk about how to do it guys with money say "the DOT will hate you and your lift - buy this for only $699".

Just so you know, F-150 front coils give about 4.5" lift. V6 thunderbird are about 3.5-4". V8 ZJ are about 1.5". Stock coil isolators can be stacked to tune front height. For the rear you can combine leafs out of S-10, Dakota, comanche, explorer, etc (high arc) with your stock spring pack to get anywhere from 1-5" of lift. You can use a full-size chevy, or comanche shackle for about .5" more.

For the control arms, the stock lowers can be shimmed out (get factory shims from the junkyard) and the holes can be ovaled (more) on the frame side to get about .25-.5" more length for the LCAs.

The track bar axle side mount can be redrilled about 1-1.5" farther over to centre the axle reasonably... You can extend the bracket a bit if you can weld.

For front brake lines YJ ones work well for about 3" of lift. A certain type of chevy is quite a bit longer and the same thread (IFS truck I think, don't remember) and will work with higher lifts. For the rear I believe it is a 96~ dodge dakota line that'll fit just peachy and is about 6" longer than the stocker. You could just shell out and buy some stainless ones - but cheap stainless lines are way worse than the OEM rubber ones.

For shocks, the monroe catalouge is online and offers about a billion different lengths and end styles. Lift it then measure for what you want.

And if you want to keep your sway bar, well, upcountry cherokees offer a 1" longer end link. But, I would probably cut a stock one up and lengthen it over that. But I don't run swaybars. Which leads to the rear swaybar - it belongs in the trash.

Anyways, as you can tell I'm rather bored. If you're cheap and have lots of time feel free to build a junkyard lift. Just watch out for the DOT because they'll hate your lift (sarcasim... they don't give a f', they hate all lifts equally).

Nutbar
04-09-2007, 03:27 AM
Yeah do the junk yard lift you'll love it

Better yet pull the coils out and put leafs in it it'll work way better

Nutbar
04-09-2007, 03:34 AM
Buy a lift kit. A well designed one at that. Remember its not only the saftey of ur self but of the others on the road as well.
[stupid]

Kinslayer
04-09-2007, 09:46 AM
Nothing wrong with junkyard lifts, so long as you don't fuck with steering. anything less than 4 inches you don't need to screw with control arms. You can gain some nice cheap lift by using ZJ springs and s10 main leaves and not have to spend a thousand dollars on a 'well designed lift', which is just re-arched leaves and bigger coils (AKA ZJ coils and sticking s10 main leaves in). Oh, they come with shocks too, which are proven to work with the amount of lift you are putting in. And brake lines - where with that truck you can just bend the steel line a bit and relocate em for small amounts of lift. And it comes in a nice box with a warranty.

Long story short, when you are lifting your truck less than four inches you don't need to be an engineer to design a lift. Most trucks have sagged a bunch anyway and a '4 inch gain' is probably only 2 inches over stock anyway.

naketa'sjeep
04-09-2007, 06:25 PM
would that work for an 86 cherokee cheif as well

Kinslayer
04-09-2007, 06:41 PM
Probably. You can use f150 springs for 4 inches like dirty commanche said, they are truck springs though and are a little more rough.

Basically with the s10 leaf - they are sprung under so they have way more arc than a standard spring over (like the XJ/MJs). So you take the main leaf, cut the eyes off, and rebuild your springpack with it in 2nd position. New center pin and crank it down tight. The xj leaves will flatten the s10 leaf a bit, but you will notice a significant increase in arc, and a firmer but still pliable ride.

Fuzzydog
04-09-2007, 08:48 PM
I'm with DirtyComanche on this - my first lift was 79 bronco coils and the dakota bastard pack leaves. gave me 3.5" lift front and rear as measured from center of hub to bottom of fender flare. I put in the lift then flexed and measured for shocks and selected them from the online catalogues. I got some el-cheapo Can tire shocks first to confirm, then went with Rancho 5000s. the ride is firm but not objectionable and flex is pretty good (with front swaybar disconnected) . also I did not need a SYE and the rear brake line was fine, but I just relocated the front one for the additional travel.

For me it wasn't so much about the cost of the lift kit as it was just so kewl and fun to do the 'junkyard wars' style of lift. As for the DOT - as long as it is all put together well with quality hardware, it doesn't matter if it's rubicon express coils or ford bronco coils in the front.

CromeY
04-10-2007, 08:33 PM
what year of truck do i take the coils and springs from as well as the leaf springs? or does any year work???

Kinslayer
04-10-2007, 09:04 PM
it doesn't really matter too much, just have to measure the width of the leaf pack to ensure it's the same. As for the coils, I don't think it matters too much, but i'll have to check.

CromeY
04-10-2007, 09:28 PM
that be great tnx yah dont wanna go and do all the work of takeing them off to find out they wont work :P

Fuzzydog
04-10-2007, 09:40 PM
my coils are off a 79 bronco and the dakota leafs are much newer - I think maybe 94 but really not sure on that. the yard I went to already had them all removed and in a warehouse, I just went and looked at them and selected them by the amount of arch (these had the most :) )

CromeY
04-10-2007, 09:43 PM
must be nice i havta pull mine off TORCH TIME

Kinslayer
04-11-2007, 08:10 AM
Yeah, torch is the best for this job, since you don't need the eyelets. You just dice the ubolts and the main spring just after the eyelet. You can from there rip the pack apart.

But yeah, like Fuzzydog says - you can use dakota leaves as well. The only thing is that they need to be the same width.

FINGERS
04-11-2007, 08:14 AM
i smell a canadian psyco:confused0006:

CromeY
04-11-2007, 08:39 AM
lol yah well im hopefully gonna get all this stuff this wekedn from the junk yard yay pick and pull

Kinslayer
04-11-2007, 08:44 AM
Where are you located? My buddy picked up some f150 springs the other day for his, but he might end up getting some actual lift springs - they offer a nicer ride.

CromeY
04-11-2007, 09:59 PM
so all i need to worry aobut is the width what bout the length becuase hopefully ill be going to pink and pull htis weekend and getting the stuff to lift it sooo?

CromeY
04-11-2007, 10:00 PM
im in kelowna well lake country 15 minutes from kelwona

CromeY
04-11-2007, 10:01 PM
and who wnats a nicer ride its 4x4ing the ruffer the better :P

Kinslayer
04-11-2007, 10:41 PM
Length doesn't matter, so long as it isn't too short - you can always chop it shorter.

CromeY
04-11-2007, 10:53 PM
alright sounds good so any f150 fornt spring and shocks and dakota or s10 leaf springs right

CromeY
04-12-2007, 06:12 PM
how ahrd is it to swap everyhting out for the lift because i was wondeirng how long to see if i can jeep the jeep where its at right now long enuf to do that?

Kinslayer
04-12-2007, 06:21 PM
well, you have to rebuild the spring packs... you don't have to pull the main spring off the hangers, but you do have to unbolt your diff, pull apart the packs, throw in a new center pin, then re torque it all up.

As for the fronts you have to pull the coils, put the new ones in, and relocate your brake lines pretty much

CromeY
04-12-2007, 06:24 PM
how long would this take and u seem to kno alot about cherokees would ym stock axles handle 33's and wuld they fit on with out lifting it?

CromeY
and how would i do a body lift and how ahrd would this be? man i sound like i kno nothing

Kinslayer
here, check this site out:

http://www.lunghd.com/Tech_Articles/Suspension_Steering_Axles_and_Brakes/Budget_Lift.htm

it has pics and info galore.

Heres a site that has a good 2 inch budget leveling build:

http://www.rocklizardfabrications.com/home_brew_budget_boost.htm

CromeY
04-12-2007, 06:27 PM
i lvoe you kinslayer ur my hero

CromeY
04-12-2007, 06:30 PM
but will the stock axles handle 33's i needa kno befor i do all the work of transfering the rubber form the 6 bolts rims to my rims

Kinslayer
04-12-2007, 06:46 PM
33s should do fine.

Kinslayer
04-12-2007, 06:50 PM
Make sure to take and post pics!

DirtyComanche
04-12-2007, 06:53 PM
As far as the axles holding up... How do you drive?

CromeY
04-12-2007, 09:29 PM
i am takeing picks as i go i forogt my camera today but i will take pics tommroow of the progress befor i start and then after im done tommorow i will take more but ill post what i got ass soon as i load them tonight which is right now after i go get ym camera

CromeY
04-12-2007, 09:31 PM
i drive like a angle

Kinslayer
04-12-2007, 09:36 PM
Oh......kay.

CromeY
04-12-2007, 09:44 PM
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y138/CromeY/cherokeebuild001.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y138/CromeY/cherokeebuild002.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y138/CromeY/cherokeebuild003.jpg
as u can see my 2 drive shafts and starter and a mysterius hose hmmm
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y138/CromeY/cherokeebuild007.jpg
second day on it and u can see my newly added cb intena :)
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y138/CromeY/cherokeebuild004.jpg
and a picture of the famous crappy facotry paint job

Kinslayer
04-12-2007, 09:48 PM
And someones hands! a COPS hands!

That hose looks like yer pcv hose maybe.

CromeY
04-12-2007, 09:50 PM
oh no im gonan havat kill u now u seen the hands :| and i belive that is what it is its not off mine but i think its the replacement because mine is buggerd

Kinslayer
04-12-2007, 09:51 PM
Oh, make sure you heed the advice of the guy on that site I gave ya regarding removing yer coils. If you have a princess auto out thataway they have coil compressors on sale right now.

about the PCV - they are all buggered.

CromeY
04-12-2007, 09:58 PM
i have a place i could prob borrow some but if not i will definatly use a compressor much easier and also yah im gonna make a better pcv hoes set up and do you have any other good jeep shites like the one u sent me eariler and yes we have a princessauto best store :)

Kinslayer
04-12-2007, 10:06 PM
Yeah, the spring compressors are 10 bucks a set right now, decent ones too.

Not really, there are a few sites out there, I don't even own a jeep, hah.

There is an XJ specific site I looked at once but hell if I can remember where it was. I'll ask my buddy - it was some site that didn't even have a domain name I think, just an IP address, haha. He was looking up a rockslider set up.

CromeY
04-12-2007, 10:10 PM
well u seem to kno ur jeeps even though u got a jimmy and yah i cant wait to start putting the lift in just gotta go get the parts :P

Kinslayer
04-12-2007, 10:48 PM
I used to have a Commanche actually, and my buddy just bought an XJ, so a guy picks some stuff up.

CromeY
04-13-2007, 06:39 AM
lol well im glad cuz the info u given me is really helpfull

CromeY
04-13-2007, 10:04 PM
so got the tranny out what a freaking pain there is a nut holding a bracket on no posible way to get off with out droping it which meant bending one of my linkages CURSE U BOLT plus it also broke my brand new crank shaft sensor fucking bolt again but anywho thank god got another one and yah cleanignt he transfer case and everyhtign and start bolting up new one tommorw then gotta put lift on ebacuse the 33's just fit with a 1 inch space ariound while still in air so yah cant have 33's till pu lift it but least its comeing along :)

Kinslayer
04-13-2007, 10:20 PM
sweet, gots the pics?

Yeah, gotta love the torx bolts they put at the top of the bellhousing eh? Jeep: Putting the fun back in shadetree mechanics. I was able to get mine off eventually, well, it was my buddies hands doing it while I was laying there holding up the tcase, heh.

CromeY
04-13-2007, 11:12 PM
actually i braught my camera went to take pics and fucking thing died but im puitting new batteries and takeing alot of pics tommorow to make up for it and it wasnt the torx botls i got thoes off not easily i may add but did it it was some stupid ass bolt that should ahve been there oh well just glad its out cant wait to satrt putting in new one tommrow

CromeY
04-16-2007, 04:38 PM
fior the rea u dont use the hole spring pack do i or do i just use springs and make a bigger pack???

Fuzzydog
04-16-2007, 04:57 PM
If you lived in Williams Lake I could give you a hand with this as I have already done it.

you want to leave your cherokee main spring in place. You don't need to undo the shackle or frame mount. just clamp them together, undo the ubolts, lower the axle until it's clear, then unbolt, unclamp the leaf pack and they will all come out, except for the main leaf. Now take your s10 leafs and hold them up there and mark where you need to cut the s10 MAIN leaf to get rid of the eyes. Then just stack springs under making your own leaf pack.
The S10 main leaf (with the eyes) will now be your second leaf but you will have cut the eyes off.

good luck with your build, and ....ummm...any word on that axle....:)

CromeY
04-16-2007, 05:55 PM
k so how amny leafes do i stack under my main cheroke leaf witht eh eyes the the s10 main leaf witht he eys cut off and that axle i have to dig my tires out so while i am doing that i will look for the tag and i should be doing this tommorow i havent been able to because of shtity weather out here so i havent had time sorry but tommroow i will be looking for the tag tommorow and what did you use for the front coils and shocks???

Fuzzydog
04-16-2007, 06:22 PM
I just checked mine and I have 4 leafs total including the main. So I have the main cherokee leaf and the top 3 leaves from a dodge dakota pack. This gave me a very flex rear suspension with exactly 3.5 inches of lift over stock. It actually gave me more but my original springs were pretty badly sagged.
For the front you want coil springs from a 79 bronco - this will give you 3.5" of lift - again for me it was exactly 3.5 over stock. Stock height is 17" from wheel center to the bottom of the fender flare.

For shocks I used Rancho RS 5000s which I figure were pretty good overall and reasonably priced if you find them on sale. Canadian tire has them on sale once in a while. I got the catalog on the net and measured my jeep at full extension and compression then matched what I needed from the catalog as close as I could. I don't have the link for the catalog right now, I'll see if I can find it. also I will look at my shocks and see if there is a number on them

CromeY
04-16-2007, 06:50 PM
that would be awsome but i herd the f150 coils and shock give a 5 inch lift same wiht the s10 leafs so if i added mroe leafs say 2 main and 4 others would i gte more of a lift?

Fuzzydog
04-16-2007, 06:57 PM
f150/bronco coils are likely the same and I can't see them giving an XJ 5" of lift. for starters they are actually shorter than the stock XJ springs when laying side by side. The XJ springs compress more is all.

With the leafs, I guess the short answer is yes, you could get more lift by stacking more leafs but there is a point of diminishing returns. If you have too many leafs its not going to flex very well at all and ride like a tank. I'm doing some research right now into what other kinds of bastard packs I can put together. right now I'm running a 3" block with the cherokee main leaf and 3 dakota leafs under it. this matchs my 6.5" coils up front. I'd like to get another inch and a half or so out of my leaves and finish it off with a longer shackle. I could just buy a 6.5" leaf pack but I'm just a junkyard kinda guy...[36]

CromeY
04-16-2007, 07:10 PM
i hear yah i just want a lift so i can fit my 33's comefertaby and not worrying about them rubbing so what do u sujest is the best i want at least a 4 inch and that bare minimun and heres 2 sites tnx to kinslayer
http://www.lunghd.com/Tech_Articles/Suspension_Steering_Axles_and_Brakes/Budget_Lift.htm
http://www.rocklizardfabrications.com/home_brew_budget_boost.htm
but yah i just want at least a 4 so iunno what do u suggest is the best way about doing this since u have already lifeted one??

Kinslayer
04-16-2007, 07:43 PM
When you stack leaves (add leaves) you have to start worrying about length of ubolts - too many means you HAVE to get new ones. Honestly you should get new ones anyway, but you can reuse them in the right circumstances.

CromeY
04-16-2007, 08:04 PM
hmmmm so with a 4 or 5 " lift do i need bigger ones?

Fuzzydog
04-16-2007, 08:26 PM
It's not the size of the lift that determines if you need new ubolts - its the thickness of the leaf packs. If I was starting all over and wanted a budget boost here's what I would do...

Rear - main cherokee leaf and 4 dakota or s10 leafs. From what I've heard the s10 leafs might have more arc so you could get away with 3. But also the dakota pack I took apart had a huge overload spring in it that I did not use. that spring alone will give you an extra 1/2"
get the shocks by measuring and referencing the catalogue.
use a wrangler rear brake hose - it bolts right in but be prepared to replace your hard lines as they will likely get destroyed when you undo them from your original brake hose.

Front - see if you can get an f150/bronco lift coil or use a .5" spacer and a regular f150 coil. that should net you about 4"
again with the shocks measure your flex and buy from the catalogue.
For front brake hoses get the hoses for a 1990 Chev C1500 2wd pickup. they are super long and bolt right in. I am running them now with my 6.5" lift and they come no where near getting maxed.

But beware - I had 3.5" lift and no slip yoke eliminator but after 1.5 years my slip yoke was getting very sloppy. I now have a slip yoke eliminator and i run a 95 grand cherokee driveshaft in the back. stock cherokee driveshaft up front.

When I had my 3.5" lift and 31's I would rub the fenders at full stuff. Looking at my 31's at full stuff with the 6.5 and I don't think you will ever fit 33's comfortably on 4" lift.

CromeY
04-16-2007, 08:40 PM
nice jeep and i hope they will fit i wont eb flexing like that i just want a lift to fit the 33's and do some trails for right now and eventually ill put more into the jeep and make ti what i want but for now just want a 4x4 that i can do more then a avergae 4x4 and if u odnt mind me asking how much do u think all the stuff cost to amke your lift? and does it matter what year of s10 or dakota or 150 or bronco cuz u said u used 79 bronco but does it amtter the year for any of it?

Kinslayer
04-16-2007, 08:52 PM
Oh hey, it's crazy yellow bumper on his red jeep guy - By the way, nice bumper. (I still don't like the color though, but the dirt color is a bit better)

Ballsjeep
04-16-2007, 09:05 PM
you will be cutting alot of plastic with a 4 inch lift and 33's ....cutting metal and plastic ...it can be done ....I have 31's with 5 inch lift ..and they rub everywhere.....I have to do alot of trimming next weekend .....

Kinslayer
04-16-2007, 09:32 PM
a 5 inch lift gets your 31s? Fuck Jeeps suck

CromeY
04-16-2007, 09:35 PM
a 5 inch lift gets more then 31's and yah im more then likely gonna hvata cut material away but its gonna be totaly worth it

CromeY
04-17-2007, 07:33 PM
so i went and got my coils and leaf springs now but i dont kno how or what to do to measure for the shocks so can some one please enlighten me it would be greatly appreciated :)

jhunter
04-19-2007, 03:41 PM
if your putting in a 4-5" lift and going with a shock like rancho, procomp, bds... get the shocks they send with there XJ 4" lifts

CromeY
04-19-2007, 08:54 PM
iunno what shocks im gonna get yet

youngun
04-19-2007, 11:37 PM
so, you going to weld the rear up and come wheelin with me next weekend?

CromeY
04-20-2007, 12:20 AM
i want to weld it up actually but im kinda iffy on doing that and next weekend not this one? because if tis next weeknd i should have er all done

Kinslayer
04-20-2007, 12:30 PM
If it's a 35 you will more than likely blow it up if you weld it AND put 33s on it.

Ballsjeep
04-20-2007, 10:02 PM
a 5 inch lift gets more then 31's and yah im more then likely gonna hvata cut material away but its gonna be totaly worth it

I speak first hand ....I have 31's ..they rub alot....a friend of mine has about 5 3/4 of lift with 33's and everything rubs...Hey Andre ..tell em ...he just had to cut a large chunk out of his very nice ARB bumber !! It is worth it ...but Im just saying theres alot of trimming to do ...

CromeY
04-20-2007, 10:18 PM
meh ill cut a s much as i need off :)

youngun
04-20-2007, 10:28 PM
next weekend, but you will probably need the rear welded to make it, going on the 28th

CromeY
04-20-2007, 11:29 PM
where u goin?

youngun
04-22-2007, 11:00 PM
chute lake its in the events now, Dr.B party....

CromeY
04-23-2007, 11:53 AM
wella s it goes right now jeep still not working right :(