PDA

View Full Version : Machining Flattop

YJ
04-06-2007, 10:36 AM
Anyone out there have any experience machining Chevy D44 flat top knuckles? From what I have read it looks like you set up the mill to just skim the rough cast off, then drill and tap the 3 holes. Is there a correct angle between the SMS and the machined surface?

BigBlockChevy
04-06-2007, 02:02 PM
call ott

StinkFinger
04-06-2007, 02:30 PM
idealy youll want it flat so it will be determind by the king pin incination or perpendicular to the spindle mounting surface

Troy
04-06-2007, 05:56 PM
idealy youll want it flat so it will be determind by the king pin incination or perpendicular to the spindle mounting surface

wouldn't it be a balljoint front diff. if it were a kingpin front diff he wouldnt need to machine anything you could bolt on a steering arm.

YJ
04-06-2007, 10:51 PM
Troy - It's a ball joint knuckle

Stink Finger - Thats what I thought, just machine perpendicular to the SMS, but that would mean I am taking off close to 0.125" of matterial at the high side and if I machined the whole top as in all the pics i've seen then I would have take out half the ball joint hole.

Big Block Chevy - Thanks, might give them a call. I have a CNC Machining center at work so I would like to do it myself.