PDA

View Full Version : lock right lockers,good deal or crap?

mikey2fast4u
04-04-2007, 07:01 PM
please share your experiences and suggestions on this topic

u2slow
04-04-2007, 07:25 PM
I put one in my Dana 60. I like it. :cool:

Nutbar
04-04-2007, 07:26 PM
Lock Rites are JUNK (as well as any locker in that style) I would only use one in a frt diff application and even there they won't last long (EH Squishy) save your coin and buy a true Detroit locker.

Always broke
04-04-2007, 07:43 PM
I agree with the NUT:D

Chewtoy
04-04-2007, 07:47 PM
I agree the lockright is junk, but have heard many good tales of the Aussie locker. I watched my buddy drive home with a noise in rear diff... he thought locker was toast, turns out he split the carrier in half, and the locker was holding things together... took it apart and locker looked like new.

m j
04-04-2007, 08:35 PM
they are slightly better then a stick in the eye
but they are nothing like a detroit

u2slow
04-04-2007, 08:53 PM
It sure beats an open diff :p

I've only had it a couple of months. It should have blown up already the way people talk. It hasn't yet so I guess I've got my $400 worth out of it. Easy install. Didn't have to disturb any bearings. Gave me an excuse to change the gear oil, fix a balljoint, and re-grease joints & hubs. drama

Squishy
04-05-2007, 03:22 AM
Lock Rites are JUNK (as well as any locker in that style) I would only use one in a frt diff application and even there they won't last long (EH Squishy) save your coin and buy a true Detroit locker.

waddaya talkin about :dontknow:

[22] another first hand experience for junk

Leithmc
04-05-2007, 07:56 AM
I've had my Lokrite for about 2 years in a D44. I've beaten it lot's and it's holdin up fine.

Leith

UU
04-05-2007, 08:18 AM
I've got a loc rite in my D44 front, no problems so far.

Murd0c
04-05-2007, 01:27 PM
I've got a loc rite in my D44 front, no problems so far.

but u don't hit the skinny pedel like squish does :dontknow:

:D

Squishy
04-05-2007, 02:54 PM
but u don't hit the skinny pedel like squish does :dontknow:

:D

i dont though, im not really a hammer down driver right now, i hate the noise the lockright made from the beginning, id be more hammer down with an open or something that doesnt make noise

Murd0c
04-05-2007, 03:46 PM
You don't hammer down? never could of guessed that [f]

In The Zone
04-05-2007, 03:51 PM
Lok wrong :dontknow: buy lots of extra shear pins

dont even waste your time because when u need it to work that is when it will fail...

i would weld a diff before putting that in ...

even in the front a dana power lock will out perform and out last a lok rite in my opinion....

Squishy
04-05-2007, 03:56 PM
power lock is just a posi is it not? not worth much more than an open in my opinion

In The Zone
04-05-2007, 04:22 PM
ya pretty much but split case design with 4 pinion mate spider gears minimum 75 % better traction then open diff steel clutch plates with torque applying cross shafts much tighter and stronger than just a Posi.......... i would not run one in the rear but will up front in my d60

i would ssupect a lok wrong breaking far before one of these failed.. and you can hammer on em...

iim not talking about the spicer trac lok

UU
04-05-2007, 04:42 PM
I guess I'll try and break mine then so I can buy a detroit

In The Zone
04-05-2007, 04:50 PM
I guess I'll try and break mine then so I can buy a detroit

im surprised you have not

you wheel hard...... and kick the shit out of it.....

UU
04-05-2007, 04:52 PM
im surprised you have not

you wheel hard...... and kick the shit out of it.....

that's what I thought, apperantly not enough though :dontknow:

:confused0006:Hmmmmmmm

Murd0c
04-05-2007, 06:47 PM
especially all that bounceing in MOAB, no complaints tho. Knock on Wood

m j
04-05-2007, 10:20 PM
power lock is just a posi is it not? not worth much more than an open in my opinion

yes it is a limited slip (posi is a chevy word and they never used a powelok as one)
but it is a limited slip for trucks, it actually works wheeling
mine lasted for at least 5 years of use before it started slipping too much
that was with 38.5/16/16.5 TSLs in the chevy
it kinda acted like a lockrite does except for the blowing up part didnt happen, it would just slip a bit (that was after a few years at first it was very similar to being welded)
the detroit is better, especially in the snow and ice
the detroit will unlock easily and allow a wheel to freeewheel in a turn where the powerlok would stay locked until you overcame the friction of the clutches
steering was fun in the snowy highway trips
the steeering was effected anytime the hubs were locked, unlike a detroit which you will not notice until the transfer case is engaged

Squishy
04-06-2007, 01:54 AM
ya pretty much but split case design with 4 pinion mate spider gears minimum 75 % better traction then open diff steel clutch plates with torque applying cross shafts much tighter and stronger than just a Posi.......... i would not run one in the rear but will up front in my d60

but that all goes out the window when your pulling a tire

NathienBrian
04-13-2007, 12:20 AM
I put them into my front and rear axle and they work Awsome , the only downfall is that they wear your tires more faster

Ballsjeep
04-15-2007, 07:43 PM
i dont though, im not really a hammer down driver right now, i hate the noise the lockright made from the beginning, id be more hammer down with an open or something that doesnt make noise

Just installed one today ....went to the end of the street and full lock steering ...did 4 donuts at a good speed ..heard a minor click ..barely hear it .. try it out next weekend off road ... but I cant tell theres a locker in there ...what noise are you refering too ?

fourplay
04-15-2007, 08:07 PM
Just installed one today ....went to the end of the street and full lock steering ...did 4 donuts at a good speed ..heard a minor click ..barely hear it .. try it out next weekend off road ... but I cant tell theres a locker in there ...what noise are you refering too ?

Ya better check out locrites website.. Apparently theres a break in period you should use before beating on it :dontknow:

Nutbar
04-15-2007, 08:10 PM
With the way a lock rite meshes together when you unload it and it unlocks for a turn the teeth will click as they pass by each other.

if you really want to try to hear the noise that they make jack up one tire on the axle with the lock rite and try to spin it when it unlocks and spins you will hear the lock rite click.