PDA

View Full Version : Timing chain noise???

leapin
04-03-2007, 08:24 PM
Hey, my 83 toy pickup has started making a tick/rattle noise from what i can tell is the front end of the engine....i did a valve adjust and re checked to no avail....this noise doesnt seem like the typical timing chain noise ive heard of. it only does it at about 2000 and up and seems to quiet up a 4000 or i just cant hear over the engine. Is it the timing chain or maybe weird water pump malfunction?

GOT MUD
04-03-2007, 09:46 PM
sounds to me like the timing chain is starting to get slack on the guides and is hitting the bolt on the right side of it that holds the case to the front end of the block, one of my old engines was making the same noise, just a slight tick after 2000 rpm and on, but i could only hear it if i kept the rpm's steady, by the time i took it apart the head of the bolt was worn clean off.

Toyrantula
04-03-2007, 11:06 PM
I will go with the timing chain guide has broken and the chain is smacking the t chain cover. Eventually it will break or you will wear a hole through the cover into a water jacket and then lose a motor.

If you decide to do your chain...STAY AWAY from CLOYES brand of gearsets. Put a brand new set in and the chain broke with less than 15000km on it, ebded up losing a valve. Did a total rebuild for just short of $4000

mijinkal
04-04-2007, 09:42 AM
I just bought a timing chain kit for about $60 with shipping from enginbldr.com off e-bay. might as well replace it if you have concerns.

VAn Man
04-04-2007, 09:56 AM
Better make sure the oil dosen't have coolant in it already. I had an 87 toy I put off way too long and it had just started laking from the water jacket. fortunately I got it before the motor was wrecked. Also the timing chain cover's not supposed to come off with the head on but it can be done. good luck getting it to seal though.

Stetson
04-04-2007, 10:22 AM
[iagree] with both the last 2 posts, get rr fixed before it costs you a bigger chunk O change!

mijinkal
04-04-2007, 10:27 AM
all you need to know to do it.
http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/maintenance/timingchain/

Where to buy it...
http://www.engnbldr.com/ToyotaHotLicks.htm

no excuses now

fhorsley
04-04-2007, 05:10 PM
Is your timing adjusted right. At higher RPMs the timing changes than at lower revs. Mine ways out a bit and it make a niose at about 3000RPMs but a small adjustment to the distributer and the noise is gone. Just a thought.

GOT MUD
04-04-2007, 06:39 PM
hey leapin are you in the lower main land cause i've done quite a few of them and have'nt had any problems getting the case sealed at all, if your interested i could probably squeeze ya in to one of my weekends, for a small fee of coarse.

leapin
04-04-2007, 10:50 PM
Crazy!, thanks for the replies....yeah im thinking the t-chain....it just started so i wanted to get on it before it gets bad...yeah im in the lower mainland so i might take you up GOT MUD....i would do it myself but my garage is the side of the road....im in the cloverdale area

ryanmacneil8448
04-09-2007, 12:48 AM
before you jump into doin a chain although it will probably be a good idea anyways the noise your describing sounds like oinging because of out of adjustment ignition timing i just timed my truck for the same problem it was out 25 degrees it sounded like someone left marbles or ball bearings on top of my pistons if you have a 22r timing should be 5 degrees btdc hope this helps