PDA

View Full Version : uh oh? pinion nut question Ford 8.8

Fuzzydog
04-03-2007, 01:03 PM
So I'm putting the 8.8 into the xj but first a bit of prep. For some reason the PO cut 3 of the bolts holding the ujoint flange to the flat flange on the 8.8 (I hope this makes sense to someone)

So anyway my 8.8 has this flat, round flange where the driveshaft attaches and there are 3 cut off bolts sticking out. Well...JAYSUS! those things were on tight. I used every trick in the book and finally I took the flange off and drilled them out on the drill press. BUT, now that I think about it did I mess up my pinion preload/torque?? When I had the flange out the pinion shaft sure moved around a lot. I didn't realize that the flange actually kept it in position.
So can I just put that flange back on now and torque the nut to spec?
Before anyone else sez it ....this thread needs pics....!!

In The Zone
04-03-2007, 01:22 PM
with the 8.8 it is a crush sleeve if you torque it back on and check the preload required to rotate the pinion u should be okay..if you torque it to much the crush sleeve can be fuckered.. then u will have to pull out the pinion and use a new crush sleeve

it needs to be pft.... good time to change the seal as well...

Fuzzydog
04-03-2007, 03:00 PM
Thx Zone! I'm not so worried anymore.

What does this mean ...it needs to be pft...?

In The Zone
04-03-2007, 03:14 PM
pretty fuking tight..

best to do not sure of the torque of hand but ......... The minimum torque to collapse the crush sleeve is about 140 ft-lbs; it will take quite a bit of horsepower to get this to collapse. Wiggle the pinion assembly as you tighten the nut to get an idea of how much more you need to collapse sleeve. When you feel very little play, sneak up on the tightening (watch a reference mark on the socket; stop at 1/16" to 1/8" linear movement along the circumference) and check the bearing pre-load torque often to get 16-29 in-lbs (new) or 8-14 (old) (new bearings have higher torque than old; once ran, they will loosen up slightly). DO NOT exceed the pre-load torque, and DO NOT back the nut off to reduce torque (this keeps the bearings loaded). If you exceed the torque, you'll have to get new crush sleeve and try again. Just take your time and sneak up on it... being that yoo
u are using the same sleeve u should be fine just snugging it up to pre load specs...

Fuzzydog
04-03-2007, 03:35 PM
Thanks Man, really appreciate the info.

Now, since I'm just putting the pinion nut back on (crush sleeve already crushed) I shouldn't need the humongous torque. I sure am glad I thought of that when I put it back on - I didn't go medieval on it. Gotta get me an inch/lb torque wrench now and do this up proper.

jakerngr
04-03-2007, 06:15 PM
nope if the sleeve is already crushed you just need to tighten it up tight enough to preload the bearings without crushing it any more