PDA

View Full Version : want more power

Tunabomber
04-02-2007, 10:19 AM
what can one do to a inline 6 4.0 ho to get some more power out of it ????

and dropping a v8 in it is not an option.

post some ideas if ya got em

F150HULK
04-02-2007, 10:25 AM
Chip
throtlle body
stroke it
lower gears

F150HULK
04-02-2007, 10:25 AM
smaller tires :confused0006:

Tunabomber
04-02-2007, 10:32 AM
Chip
throtlle body
stroke it
lower gears

chip = not reg gas who can afford that
throttle body = change in power band not much more power
stroke it = hmm how do ya do that ??
gears = got em already
smaller tires [16] no way man

Ironman
04-02-2007, 11:02 AM
go with 4.88s and go on a diet[f]

redman
04-02-2007, 11:31 AM
buy a yota ?

F150HULK
04-02-2007, 11:55 AM
Super charger

Turbo

jhunter
04-02-2007, 12:14 PM
Drive down hill

Tunabomber
04-02-2007, 12:23 PM
[1b] [16]

F150HULK
04-02-2007, 12:28 PM
http://www.nagca.com/grandtech/supercharger.htm

barracuda
04-02-2007, 12:55 PM
a decent cam & Headers would help it out

BOVINE
04-02-2007, 01:07 PM
http://www.nagca.com/grandtech/supercharger.htm

Holy crap, The 4.0l supercharger kit is 4.250.00 us

Mite as well drop a v8 in it for that price

Kinslayer
04-02-2007, 01:22 PM
Cold air intake, bigger exhaust, headers, port/polish, Y'know the usual shit.

Also, a lot of jeep guys stroke their shit apparently, get 4.6/4.7 out of em with the same fuel 'economy' apparently.

Mr Vic
04-02-2007, 01:47 PM
golen stroker motors are around $3500 USD i think.. build your own stroker motor would be another option, if i remeber correctly you take the 4.2 block, crank and pistons from pre 91 6 cyl and put your 4.0L efi setup on it, not sure what cam you would use but better to get a new hotter cam installed. would be alot cheaper than buying stroker motor. nutbar has probly done the stroker buildup, some changes to the waterjackets on the head are required.

if your keeping your motor, kinslayer's tips are what i would consider, also bigger throttle body might help a little, rubicon express sells them and ebay has some usually. aside from that supercharger [36]

MetalMan
04-02-2007, 01:59 PM
Cam it. Comp Cams part # 68-232-4, grind # X4250H-13 would do the trick. Keep in mind since the lifters are flat hydraulics you will also need to replace them all.

atoyot
04-02-2007, 02:22 PM
chip = not reg gas who can afford that
throttle body = change in power band not much more power
stroke it = hmm how do ya do that ??
gears = got em already
smaller tires [16] no way man

MORE POWER = MORE GAS
if your afraid of gas prices or having to put high octane in you shouldnt be trying to make more power

Thats the price u pay to play!!!!!

FINGERS
04-02-2007, 03:52 PM

hahahahhaahahahahahahahahahahaha

Tunabomber
04-02-2007, 04:17 PM
Originally Posted by ironman http://www.funinbc.com/forum/images/approx/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.funinbc.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1109722#post1109722)

hahahahhaahahahahahahahahahahaha __________________
[22] I'm Part Dinosaur...Lickalotopus [22]

[33] hahaha fuck you both go fuck yourself

MetalMan
04-02-2007, 06:29 PM
MORE POWER = MORE GAS
if your afraid of gas prices or having to put high octane in you shouldnt be trying to make more power

Thats the price u pay to play!!!!!

The thing with chips/modules is, they only affect the vehicle at WOT. So you can technically still run the same gas, but if you floor it the knock sensor retards the timing, rendering the mod useless. Or you can run the higher octane fuel all the time and enjoy the benefit of spending more money for fuel when you don't need to 90% of the time. I have a module on my Dakota and can attest to this. I just run 87 all the time unless I'm going to MRP or something, and rely on my knock sensor.

Nutbar
04-02-2007, 07:00 PM
Cheap bolt ons would be chip, throttle body, exhaust, and cold air intake.

Not all chips require the use of Premium fuel, research the chip

Oh and Metal Man know a little more about the specific fuel inj you are dealing with, such as a 4.0 DOES NOT use a knock sensor and depending on the chip manufacturer they do not all affect only WOT some are designed to work with a whole string of accessories and will not work properly without the extras these chips affect the whole power range.

A cam is another good upgrade but is a little more labour intensive and anything more than that, IE stroker engine, gets into the very pricey range.

Tunabomber
04-02-2007, 07:51 PM
great info thanxs guys and a big go fuck yourselfto the rest of ya.

think im gonna go headers for now i think mine leak any way

Jeep Victim
04-02-2007, 09:00 PM
Just had a stroker built for mine.Ironically my jeep is your jeeps twin before last summer.Same color same wheels same winch same top everything.Painted it flat black andswapped the motor.Had a 4.7 stroker built this winter.4.0 H/O block,bored 30 over,4.2 crank and rods,Banks torque tube header,zero decked the block and head ,10:1 pistons,real lumpy Comp cam,got rid of the computer because I swamped it hard last year and it never was right again.Went with a Offy intake and a Holley truck avenger offroad carb.(470)4bbl.Full MSD ignition and an electric fan.I know it sounds like a lot but it's fucking amazing.Ask FourPlay he's been out with me in it several times if you want any info get ahold of me via email.We can always go for a ride if you are a non believer.Oh and a fuel pump from a jet boat that hums like crazy!

jeepxj89
04-02-2007, 09:27 PM
http://www.go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoIntakeManifold1.htm

electric fan

exhaust

Kinslayer
04-02-2007, 09:53 PM
Yeah, electric fans usually free up some HP, only when hot though (if it has a built in clutch)

You could see if there is an underdrive pulley for your truck - that slows down your accessories, leaving more power on the crank. This gives HP/torque benefits throughout the RPM range. Drawbacks is, of course, a slower alternator means it generates less power at the same engine speed, with a mild underdrive you don't notice it really though (25-30% under)

The chip for my car is a straight replacement - it remaps the entire fuel map providing a different experience from idle to 9000 RPM. If I were to get that (I probably wont though) I would be able to run 87 octane so long as I stayed away from crazy high RPM shifts, where the pre-detonation starts.

C-Dog
04-02-2007, 09:56 PM
Just had a stroker built for mine.Ironically my jeep is your jeeps twin before last summer.Same color same wheels same winch same top everything.Painted it flat black andswapped the motor.Had a 4.7 stroker built this winter.4.0 H/O block,bored 30 over,4.2 crank and rods,Banks torque tube header,zero decked the block and head ,10:1 pistons,real lumpy Comp cam,got rid of the computer because I swamped it hard last year and it never was right again.Went with a Offy intake and a Holley truck avenger offroad carb.(470)4bbl.Full MSD ignition and an electric fan.I know it sounds like a lot but it's fucking amazing.Ask FourPlay he's been out with me in it several times if you want any info get ahold of me via email.We can always go for a ride if you are a non believer.Oh and a fuel pump from a jet boat that hums like crazy!

That seems like a real nice set up you got going there i bet it purrrsssss nicely

FKN MRK
04-02-2007, 10:24 PM

:confused0006:

Jeep Victim
04-03-2007, 02:29 PM
It doesn't really purr as much as rumble and shake.240 hp.on the ground dynoed @276.Got a 2 3/4 inch exhaust on it that runs through the trnsfer case skid plate and turns out.Basically look up" Golen stroker engines" this is virtually what I built and then added on a few more" Goodies".The jeep is real quick,have yet to down shift on any hill,at hiway speeds will jump from 110 to 150 PDQ,without downshifting.It's nice to use 5th gear on the hiway,with 35's I never could before.

J20
04-03-2007, 08:12 PM
stop carrying so much beer ...............that will make her a little faster............:party0010:

jeepboy
04-04-2007, 01:53 PM
I was gonna ask if anyone had stroked their 4.0L. Have you had any problems with it? How much did it cost you and where did you get it done?

Smurf131
04-04-2007, 04:15 PM
any automotive machine shop will probably do up a stroker. i work at the lordco machine shop and we've built a couple of em, they do get pretty pricy though.

Just rebuilt my 4.0 only thing performance i did was a had my stock cam ground down for a little more torque and it made quite the difference.

fourplay
04-04-2007, 06:54 PM
F'in Eh bubba, Barry's jeep rocks, we're workin in Mission and commute from the wack, we took his heep last week for a day, that heep has alotta get up and go now [36] [36] [36] [36] [36]
He just finished doin the "break in" period for his motor warranty, just had gears and locker put in the front, (he wouldn't put the front shaft in till the break in period was over cause he KNEW he'd do somethin dum, lmao) Shes ready to rip, and goes pretty damn fast now.

Awsome set up, and I have alot of the parts saved up for mine , headin in the same direction.

[cheers]

titan
04-06-2007, 12:48 AM
Just had a stroker built for mine.

How much did it cost? Where did you get it done?

Jeep Victim
04-06-2007, 07:46 AM
Got 4700 into mine,but I didn't have a 4.0 block to start with.Had a tired 256 that had been abused heavily.If you already have a 4.o with your fuel injection wiring harness,etc...I imagine it would be substantially cheaper.I had nothing! An open engine bay and went from there.I've got 6k into it now.1000 just on ignition,replaced everything,old ignition let me down more than a few times,was sick of it.The electric fan is a nice little add-on.Frees up some ponys and torque.Got it done at Fortin's in Chilliwack.