PDA

View Full Version : Shorting out trouble

glopedawg5
03-25-2007, 05:26 PM
Hey, I drive a 86' Yota and the head gasket went on my truck about a month ago. That wasn't too bad I just stripped my engine down to the block and bought a head rebuild kit and replaced the head gasket. I put my 22-RE engine back together and plugged every single wire and hose back into the block and rocker arm cover. Now my engine will only turn over and won't start running, I'm wondering if it could be an electrical short somewhere because of a sound the distributor seems to make when I try turning it over? Any input would be appreciated.[cheers]

trevyota
03-25-2007, 08:11 PM
did you machine the head or anything like that?

do a compression test on it.

duff
03-25-2007, 08:15 PM
check for spark and fuel one of these is probly missing, find out witch one and take it from there

slacker
03-26-2007, 07:16 AM
and for sure you got the ground from the fire wall to the back of the head ?

glopedawg5
03-26-2007, 11:55 AM
Yeah i got the ground wire on the back of the head bolted to the firewall, and as I try turning it over i smell gas so im sure the fuel line and pump is all fine, and the spark plugs are all hooked up to their proper cylinders. So i don't know what could be the problem. I think im going to take my truck to the toyota dealership, they should be able to fix the problem fast.

trevyota
03-26-2007, 05:00 PM
COMPRESSION TEST

glopedawg5
03-27-2007, 09:07 AM
Haha no im sure all the cylinders are firing perfectly, but I heard that if my timing chain is out by one tooth it won't fire. So im pretty sure its just that. I'm going to get it fixed later this week that I can't wait to go wheeling.

Stetson
03-27-2007, 10:44 AM
just an idea to check. its a simple thought but don't laugh. A friend had the same problem, went over and took a look, the valves where so out of adjustment that they wern't closing all the way. Thus of course not allowing compression to run the vehicle.

Stetson
03-27-2007, 10:47 AM
is your distributor out 180 degree's?

Stetson
03-27-2007, 10:55 AM
Yeah i got the ground wire on the back of the head bolted to the firewall, and as I try turning it over i smell gas so im sure the fuel line and pump is all fine, and the spark plugs are all hooked up to their proper cylinders. So i don't know what could be the problem. I think im going to take my truck to the toyota dealership, they should be able to fix the problem fast.

Haha no im sure all the cylinders are firing perfectly, but I heard that if my timing chain is out by one tooth it won't fire. So im pretty sure its just that. I'm going to get it fixed later this week that I can't wait to go wheeling.

But is there propper spark? igniter/coil/ gapping the magnetic pickup in the distrubutor propperly-this is explained in your haynes manual.............................

just some ideas without seeing or hearing it

lizard
03-27-2007, 04:51 PM
its not gonna start if the coldstart injector 's not workin also

GOT MUD
03-28-2007, 10:03 PM
i've been there before it could be 1 of three things, your distributer is out 180, or your valves are so out of adjustment that it won't fire which could very well be the problem, or actually theres only two things it could be when it comes to the valves on the toyota motor that i've come across, because if the timing chain was out a tooth or two your valves would be bent after tring to start it up and the motor would'nt turn over at all, it happens so easily and is very easily overlooked when your hangin that chain in the case or trying to hold it up with something. does the motor still turn over? cause if it does then you might want to check the valves to see if they are adjusted properly to spec. that's all i got, if it's fuel inj. i'm kinda lost with all the sensers and crap that they put on those, oh ya and the ground from the back of the motor to the fire wall aint gonna make a difference for starting the truck so you know.