PDA

View Full Version : 2.8L stutering and hesitating

SBC hris
03-19-2007, 10:12 PM
So I bought myself a 2.8L, 5 spd Bronco 2 a few weeks ago, and it has a problem. For starters, its hard to get it moving from a stop, and when it does get moving, it just starts lurching. It bogs down, then revs up, then bogs down, the revs up, etc etc.....Once I get it up to speed, it starts hesitating and stutering:dontknow: If I hold the gas for long enough in 2nd and 3rd, it seems to get past the hesitation, and the revs come up like they should. Other than that, its just completely gutless and a pain in the ass to drive. I know these engines are kinda shitty to begin with, but does anyone have any ideas?:confused0006:

HillBillyLincoln
03-19-2007, 10:16 PM
injected or carb?

Always broke
03-19-2007, 10:17 PM
Check fuel filter and ignition stuff like cap rotor and wires if it's fuel injected could be an O2 sensor:dontknow:

SBC hris
03-19-2007, 10:47 PM
Its carbureted, I changed the plugs and wires, and the fuel filter. The cap and rotor look good to me, but for what its worth I might end up trying it anyways. Are there multiple fuel filters in these trucks? I can only find one:confused0006:

HillBillyLincoln
03-19-2007, 10:49 PM
sounds like time for a carb

SBC hris
03-19-2007, 10:57 PM
That may be the case.

351BII
03-22-2007, 12:07 PM
Theres the fuels filter thats righ ton the carb and sometimes theres one underneith in the frame rail....Sounds more like carb rebuild time. There all over the place and shouldnt be hard to find. I just threw out 2...[cheers] If it was ignition problem it mor ethen likely wouldnt rev up at all...

Cwheeler
03-25-2007, 10:15 PM
ive got 2 feed back carbs but being as they have been sitting awhile they will prob need a rebuild (45$) case of beer there yours. odds are thou the stock emissions system is screwing up (big surprise) when it malfuntions basicly the carb goes into full rich mode and you get no timing advance and they are a bitch to tune. since ford used these engines in earlier cars etc you can convert it to a simpler (and prob more reliable) ignition system, points or duraspark, I converted my old 85 Ranger to duraspark and it woke that lil v6 right up (compared to what it used to be) and it still passed aircare.

http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/2_8Duraspark.html a good artical to read

HillBillyLincoln
03-25-2007, 10:31 PM
another idea...maybe the cat is plugged? disconnect exhaust before before cat,then try it...