PDA

View Full Version : High Steer on d44

Mr Vic
03-16-2007, 08:34 PM
my jeep has been sitting for too long collecting dust need to get the project goin...

I have a scout mid 70's scout dana 44 that has the C's turned to 7* that I plan to get rebuilt soon. it will go in my YJ with grand wagoneer leafs SOA, rear axle wil be a ford 8.8. I would like to keep the 5 on 5.5 bolt pattern as i already have some rims and spidertrack adapter/spacer for the 8.8..

not sure if i can keep the scout disc brakes and the warn hubs on it...the scout spindle is 8 bolts and the chevy is 6 bolt, so pretty sure can't use the scout parts. should i be using the chevy small spindle, Ford wheel bearing hub & manual locking hubs scout caliper and warn hubs? also changing to the chevy knuckle and ford hub etc, will it change the outer axle stub length?

thanks for the input [36]

Nutbar
03-16-2007, 08:43 PM
now if this was me I would be getting the Chevy flat top knuckles (I think 76 and prior for the right hand flat top knuckle) early chev spindles (the small ones U mentioned) chevy stub shafts chevy caliper brackets and calipers and the Ford F150/Bronco rotors and wheel bearing hubs, they are 5 on 5.5 and use the better 1/2 ton internal locking hubs

then you would have a true D44 the scout stuff is a little bastardized it is actually the same brake bearings spindes hubs and stubs as the CJ D30 just the stub has been bored out to fit D44 Ujoints.

epic3
03-16-2007, 08:53 PM
the scout stuff is a little bastardized.

for shame I thought we were friends but now I'm second guessing that choice:confused:

Mr Vic
03-16-2007, 10:40 PM
now if this was me I would be getting the Chevy flat top knuckles (I think 76 and prior for the right hand flat top knuckle) early chev spindles (the small ones U mentioned) chevy stub shafts chevy caliper brackets and calipers and the Ford F150/Bronco rotors and wheel bearing hubs, they are 5 on 5.5 and use the better 1/2 ton internal locking hubs

then you would have a true D44 the scout stuff is a little bastardized it is actually the same brake bearings spindes hubs and stubs as the CJ D30 just the stub has been bored out to fit D44 Ujoints.

must have edited my post to many times before submitting.. [stoned] i am picking up a set of flattops tommorow, but not sure where to take them to get machined, OTT said $70 and $230 for a pair of flat arms. don't know of any other shops to get the machining done for cheaper or same quality.

so looks like i need to get ahold of the chevy calipers & brackets, stub shafts..

for the brake lines my YJ already has extended stainles brake lines, i assume they ahve different fitting than the chevy caliper so will probly need to get new ones. as for the manual lockouts, the scout diff had warn premiums on it, do you know if those work with the ford rotor chevy stub?

thanks for your advice Mikey [h] [5]

epic, need some scout parts :confused0006: they will go for cheap

Nutbar
03-16-2007, 10:58 PM
No the scout ones should be a bolt on pedastal style locking hub (uses 6 bolts to hold it on to the wheel bearing hub) the ford and Chev use a splined internal locking hub (the hub slides inside the wheel bearing hub) the internal style hub is a better design definately stronger Warlord is running the scout stuff on his and he is having problems now with blowing locking hubs and burning up wheel bearings (the ford and chevy wheel bearings are spaced a little further apart which allows them to handle side loading and large tires/wide rims better, plus the bearings themselves are larger than the scout ones)

epic3
03-17-2007, 02:54 AM
I stil am upset with you