PDA

View Full Version : Photos from Eskay Creek Area

yota90ca
03-13-2007, 12:46 AM
Came across these photos, from my trip to North of Stewart, had to mining camps to visit, one about a 10 minute chopper ride from the Eskay mine, and the other was 2.5hr boat ride North of Prince Rupert.

Here are a couple of shots.

Taxi in - Are you sure there is Room for me and this is the only way in?

Day One: Get to camp story personal gear and get to work. Time to collect the drill pads, or whats left

Class mate from the GIS program and me taking time to suck in the view:

Day two: Man the weather sucks, where the hell am I.

Day Three: Only day it was sunny - I dont think i want to walk back to camp, GPS show 8.5km straight shot there

Setting a GPS control Point:

Story of this trip, always landing in water.

Rick getting a point of were the GPS Base station is, I dont think i am going to lose it:

This was the last time i saw the Glaciers in the area. The Net time I was back at that point the chopper scared a bear away from the base and we had to wait in the chopper for 20mins waiting for the fog to lift to get pack to camp.

The day we left the camp called all the drill crews back to camp and we were the last people to leave camp for three days. The fog came in and well did not lift for a while.

Landlover
03-13-2007, 01:06 AM
So do you work for the forestry department then?
My brother in law is a chopper pilot, he lives in L'orange, Sask. because there are no jobs out here. I know he'd love to work for BC Forestry. then he could drive his 53 army ambulance, but thats here and he's there.
:confused0006: maybe I 'll take it

zuki
03-13-2007, 01:18 AM
Those were some really cool pics. I especially like the one where you said you always landed in water. Nice.

Shera
03-13-2007, 07:29 AM
Awesome pictures ,nice to see some other areas of b.c. also

mountain man
03-13-2007, 07:44 AM
Many Bears?

HEAVY METAL
03-13-2007, 08:22 AM
wicked job dude!

nykoma
03-13-2007, 08:27 AM
greaat pictures of the job site. off topic did the slocan river flood yesterday, P.E.P. called last night ask to go on stand by[cheers]

Murd0c
03-13-2007, 08:46 AM
dammm what a job I think my g/f will be able to do stuff like that when shes done school

gnu_42
03-13-2007, 09:51 AM
nice pictures

longhorn
03-13-2007, 10:30 AM
Are you drilling a hole in that rock?
That jackhammer has its own engine?

redneck_justice
03-13-2007, 11:29 AM
My brother in law is a chopper pilot, he lives in L'orange, Sask. because there are no jobs out here. I know he'd love to work for BC Forestry. then he could drive his 53 army ambulance, but thats here and he's there.

tell ur bro in law to get a hold of ian munson he owns lakelse air and is into building minning camps roads and has 12 choppers are somthing like that that service the mining industry in terrace and area here. he may be looking for chopper pilots. don't have the numbers but he can get them from 411 if nothing on lakelse air just contact the northern motor inn ask for gail in the office. the family owns the hotel aswell and they will give you a number for ian. phil

redneck_justice
03-13-2007, 11:36 AM
great pics

yota90ca
03-13-2007, 06:57 PM
landlover wrote:

Nope I work for a small GIS/GPS mapping companie that speciallizes in GPS surveying in Nelson BC. nykoma you might know my boss, he was with NSAR until he and his family moved to Brooks AB, he is now by most as amac, he was a search manager.

zuki wrote :
Those were some really cool pics. I especially like the one where you said you always landed in water. Nice.

Well that was the only flat place to land the chopper was in water or do a toe in and jump out. Some times i was lucky and the Drill pad was still here so we would land there.

mountain man wrote:
Many Bears?

there were about 5 bears, most we saw in the chopper thank god and after we were picked up. Had a Grizzly try and come into camp at Corey Camp (Eskay area). When i was at the second camp i had a bear try and be my buddy, the chopper scared him off thought, I did not see him just the chopper flying away.

nykoma wrote:
greaat pictures of the job site. off topic did the slocan river flood yesterday, P.E.P. called last night ask to go on stand by

Not that I know of, I move into my new place this weekend.

Murd0up wrote:
dammm what a job I think my g/f will be able to do stuff like that when shes done school

Depends on what she is taking in school and who she works for. I am a contractor so I work for government and other private sectore companies.

Longhorn wrote:
Are you drilling a hole in that rock?
That jackhammer has its own engine?

Yep needed to place a special Brass cap so the mining company could use it later when the needed to do more surveying. Yep it is gassed powered, and it was a *itch to start expecially when it was cold. That was the shortest drill bit for it.

That is right redneck_justice, the companie that supplied the choppers for both camps is Lakelse air in Terrace. They have more then just the hugh 500D, the do have larger heli's like Bell 206's and Jet rangers too. here is the website: http://www.innbc.com/lakelseair/ if you fly for a mining company they feed and house you, and if he is not an engineer like the pilot at teh second camp they supply you with one.

yota90ca
03-13-2007, 07:09 PM
here are photos of the second camp, unlike the first one that was really remote and was depended on the chopper this one was on the ocean so the supply was by boat.

Kitsault is were we flew into the next camp, this a deserted mining town that is owned by someone. There is a story there i dont know the whole thing but when the mine shut down people left and the heat and lights are still on in the house apperantly:

Comming into camp from our short ride, very bumpy ride due to the wind that day:

Getting one of the control points for furture surveying, in an area called Bonaza lake (Cant see it in the pick but just over the edge and you can):

Camp from about 500 feet in the air - Chato Atco (Anyox Mine):

This is not a full serve pit stop. The pilot/flight engineer at the second camp filling up before we go do some more points:

Had some time to kill so they were searching for wolf eels:

Trying to get to the other side of the mountain, I think not (Another story of the trip nothing but fog):

View of Grandby Bay from the shores of camp:

Time to go back to the Kootenays:

These are just a sample of the photos I have mostly work related photos for this trip.

kootenaycat
03-13-2007, 08:00 PM
[quote=yota90ca;1098249]

Yep needed to place a special Brass cap so the mining company could use it later when the needed to do more surveying. quote]

So that's what those are. We have seen a few out quadding/hiking around. Mostly at a high point of land.

And great pics! Nice to see some from another part of BC. How long have you been in the Kootenays? When you get a quad, you should come out with us on some of our trips once the snow is gone.

Kevin

yota90ca
03-13-2007, 08:20 PM
[quote=yota90ca;1098249]

Yep needed to place a special Brass cap so the mining company could use it later when the needed to do more surveying. quote]

So that's what those are. We have seen a few out quadding/hiking around. Mostly at a high point of land.

And great pics! Nice to see some from another part of BC. How long have you been in the Kootenays? When you get a quad, you should come out with us on some of our trips once the snow is gone.

Kevin

Well the brass caps that you have seen quading are set by legal surveyours and are marking elevations of mountain peaks or property boundarys. The ones i set are not legal and are for the people that i installed them for. The only legal one I install i was with a BCLS around YMIR had to drive to Salmo to get there.

Been here about 6 years now on and off. Did both my diplomas at Selkirk College in Castlegar. I didnt even finish the last one until my GPS instructor Hired me to work for him and never really left.

I should have the quad here sometime this spring, when it comes time to clean the yard up. When it gets here would love to go out. I have a plan to go to Idaho Peak with a friend, a quad might be better then driving the truck up there but I dont know how the owner of sandon would like that.

kwast
03-13-2007, 08:24 PM
you have a friggin' sweet job man, live it up. what did ya go to school for??
I got the 2 year telecom/electronics prog. from BCIT and i'm workin' for the tel company.

lizard
03-13-2007, 10:51 PM
thats the only way to get to alpine (heli) walkin sucks ass

kootenaycat
03-13-2007, 11:24 PM
thats the only way to get to alpine (heli) walkin sucks ass

I prefer quadding! :D Can't afford a helicopter!

And Yota90ca, unless you just plan on going JUST to the parking lot, I wouldn't take an ATV. There are a lot of unfriendly hikers in the area who are dead set against any kind of motorized offroad recreation. It might not be at the top of the mountain when you got back from the hike to the lookout!

We should plan a trip up Highway 31A in late July/early August. Went up there 2 summers ago and it was unbelievable. You can check out some pics here.

http://www.funinbc.com/forum/showthread.php?t=54019

Taxidermy
03-13-2007, 11:37 PM
NICE MOUNNTA go fuck yourself

yota90ca
03-14-2007, 09:28 AM
I prefer quadding! :D Can't afford a helicopter!

And Yota90ca, unless you just plan on going JUST to the parking lot, I wouldn't take an ATV. There are a lot of unfriendly hikers in the area who are dead set against any kind of motorized offroad recreation. It might not be at the top of the mountain when you got back from the hike to the lookout!

We should plan a trip up Highway 31A in late July/early August. Went up there 2 summers ago and it was unbelievable. You can check out some pics here.

I would never dream of going past the parking lot. Was up there last year with the GF and man it was a gong show going up and down, I had to wait for about 10mins while this guy tried backing his jeep up so i could continue down. The van behind him did a better job and was waiting for me at the switchback before the parking lots.

The trails to the tower are a little narrow for an atv. I my be young but i am not stupid and I know the views of that area towards motorized activities.

Murd0c
03-14-2007, 09:47 AM
Depends on what she is taking in school and who she works for. I am a contractor so I work for government and other private sectore companies.

The gf is taking the renewable resources at BCIT not sure if thats the right corse or not but would be cool if she did stuff like that for a job

yota90ca
03-14-2007, 09:53 AM
The gf is taking the renewable resources at BCIT not sure if thats the right corse or not but would be cool if she did stuff like that for a job

I hear that program is getting shut down after this year goes through. If she is into forestry stuff then she will find work, most likely central BC around PG or north. I have heared of a few jobs on the coast and Island but most in the interiour.

If she is into Rec Fish and Wildlife good luck with that as there are like 500 people applying for 50 jobs.

Murd0c
03-14-2007, 10:06 AM
The forestry programs getting shut down end of next year. But shes in the other program that has a wider range of oppertunity.

She better not be moving away tho :(

kootenaycat
03-14-2007, 09:27 PM
I would never dream of going past the parking lot.

The trails to the tower are a little narrow for an atv. I my be young but i am not stupid and I know the views of that area towards motorized activities.

I wasn't harping on you about quadding up there! Hope you didn't take it that way! I just meant if you plan on hiking to the lookout tower, don't leave the quad at the parking lot! :eek: Wouldn't mind hiking into the lookout again one of these days, but it's so busy with out of towners that I can't be bothered. Maybe during the week might be ok. I've heard horror stories about idiots who can't drive the road, lots of switchbacks.

There are awesome trails along highway 31A where you won't run into many people. We unloaded at Bear lake and rode the blacktop from there to the trails. Not much activity in the way of cops up there! :D

Trooper
03-14-2007, 11:39 PM

Usually is a choper pilot cant find work its for a reason how many turbines has he cooked? I've seen soo many pilots that will never work again for over temping the turbines. There are so many jobs out here for rotary wing guy with a good record

yota90ca
03-16-2007, 10:06 AM
Wouldn't mind hiking into the lookout again one of these days, but it's so busy with out of towners that I can't be bothered. Maybe during the week might be ok. I've heard horror stories about idiots who can't drive the road, lots of switchbacks.

There are awesome trails along highway 31A where you won't run into many people. We unloaded at Bear lake and rode the blacktop from there to the trails. Not much activity in the way of cops up there! :D

I know all about the out of towners not knowing how to drive that road. I figure if you go just after the road opens up from the snow you can beat the crowds, but not the locals.

I had a guy almost refuse to back down the road. He was from Washington state, with his wife. It took him 15mins to pull off at what he thought was a pull off. The van behind him made it to the switch back and was having a snack when i finally got to him. The guy from washington was lucky i had my little toyota, not the company Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel.

Cops on 31A, now that is a ghost story, or is it a myth. [15]

kamburt
03-16-2007, 10:39 AM
What river was that at Eskay? Iskut or were you on the More - Sphaler route to Nova Golds mine access road?

yota90ca
03-17-2007, 03:40 AM
What river was that at Eskay? Iskut or were you on the More - Sphaler route to Nova Golds mine access road?

All I know is that the road that I drove down to meet the chopper to the first camp was out of a small town call Bob Quinn Lake, about 4 hours north of Terrace. We drove for about 1 hr to Volcano Pass, then 10 minute flight in with the copper to camp. The exact names of the rivers I dont know, but only the names the geologist gave some of the areas. Hell i still have a hard time trying to find it on the map and I have GPS coordinates for several points in that area.