PDA

View Full Version : Hey Nutbar

Balls First
03-12-2007, 10:46 PM
heard your the one to talk to about Jeeps. when i hammer on my 2001 TJ in 4wheel sometimes it starts banging like somethings hitting something i think the mount on the tranny/tcase to the crossmember might be pooched any other idea's?

Squishy
03-12-2007, 10:48 PM
can you feel the banging in the vehicle? does it come from underneith you? from the front of the truck? rear? is it standard or auto?

Balls First
03-12-2007, 10:53 PM
its a standard and im not too sure where it comes from thats my problem im checking the mount this weekend when i change the tranny/tcase fluid but i cant really think of it being anything else unless ive got a buggered universal

Squishy
03-12-2007, 10:58 PM
if the shifter torques over when you stomp on it(leans to the passanger side) your motor mounts might be toast, easy to check with a flashlight or if it leans driver side when you get on it in reverse. check motor mounts first, then tranny(just look at them, if there all cracked to hell replace em).

checking a universal is simple, put the vehicle in neutral, block the wheels so it doesnt crush you, grab the driveshaft by hand and see if there is any slop in the joints.

does it make this noise when you are in 2wd and ha,mmer on it?

Nutbar
03-12-2007, 10:58 PM
Could be a tranny mount you should be able to feel the shifter move under your hand though if its bangin around they are also bad for the engine mts going causing the fan to hit the shroud when you get really hard on it could be a Dshaft ujoint to or possibly the centering ball in the cv on the frt Dshaft but I would start checking the mts first, more likely the engine mts.

Balls First
03-12-2007, 10:59 PM
only if i drop the clutch and light the tires up

Balls First
03-12-2007, 11:00 PM
thanks for the info man