PDA

View Full Version : Woodbury Crk March 9

yota90ca
03-11-2007, 04:00 PM
Got a phone call from a local foresty company about several slides in the Woodbury Crk area North of Balfour. Went in friday to GPS and survey the road and bluffs.

The road in was nasty deep ruts of mud, equipment has been getting suck all week long as they get the roads in the area ready.

No pic of the road in but should have some by monday.

First Load of Gear, GPS, Survey Legs, Equipment for Laser Scanner.

GPS setup now i can work:

Finishing the scanning of the first bluff of three:
(Look mom I am a surveyor)

MOE looking at the big slide at the second bluff (end of the road for the ATV):

Some trees are the the way of the scan time for them to go:
before:

After:

Slope is still unstable, hope it holds long enough for us to finish and go home:

Trying to get the computer to work with the Laser scanner:

Woodbury Creek, going to have to go up and down the slope monday (anyone want to swap jobs for a day:D )

Suz
03-11-2007, 04:38 PM
:D Cool, I want your job .

Troy
03-11-2007, 05:17 PM
thats a cool job being able to get out in the mountains

yota90ca
03-11-2007, 05:22 PM
Some days it is not fun at all yes i get to go into the mountains. Monday I get to go back to Woodbury Creek and climb up and down the hill below the road in the snow all day, for about a kilometer of the road :( .

At least i dont have to go to the gym when i am done on monday.

Taxidermy
03-11-2007, 05:23 PM
cool pics:D

Millhouse
03-11-2007, 07:12 PM
yeah cool pics

bustamove
03-11-2007, 10:06 PM
hmm funn radio RTK, are those single or dual frequency receivers, and do they track the glonass system? LOL how well does it init. in the bush LOL

kootenaycat
03-11-2007, 10:12 PM
Do you know if forestry is going to open up the slide? We were planning on a trip up to the Scranton mine last year, never got around to it. [16] Have you ever been to the mine? Lots of exploring to do in that area, above Ainsworth there are lots of old mines.

Styx
03-12-2007, 10:38 AM
Nice area you have a dream job dude...[36]

mijinkal
03-12-2007, 10:49 AM
Fuk, I wish my bosses would buy us quads for surveying. Although we don't do remote stuff like that. Looks alot more exciting than the stupid stratas I've been drawing for months. Good to see another surveyor on the board [cheers]

UU
03-12-2007, 12:18 PM
You get paid for that go fuck yourself bastard

mini
03-12-2007, 01:45 PM
taht is awsome you get paid to go out and quad [36]

yota90ca
03-12-2007, 06:41 PM
bustamove wrote:
hmm funn radio RTK, are those single or dual frequency receivers, and do they track the glonass system? LOL how well does it init. in the bush

Dont know all i know about our RTK GPS is that it is a Topcon Hiper GGD with a internal Pac Crest radio for the rover and the Base is a Legant 2 antenna with a Legacy E reciver and an external Pac Crest. Have not had the time to really learn this systems insides and out too much work. And yes it tracks the Glonass system, I think we are going to wait for the Gallio system to get up and running before upgrade the system.

kootenaycat
Do you know if forestry is going to open up the slide? We were planning on a trip up to the Scranton mine last year, never got around to it. Have you ever been to the mine? Lots of exploring to do in that area, above Ainsworth there are lots of old mines.

Yep Meadow Creek Cedar sent us in to get the three bluffs at the 3km marker surveyed and the ground below the road. They plan to scale some of the bluffs and realine the road where they cant scale the rock, to get the trucks away from teh overhanging rock.

I have not being back there. Have not had much time to expore and the truck is still stock and the ATV does not Arrive until later this spring. I hate going out by myself in areas like that.

And yes I get paid to rip around on the quad all day. If there was more snow on the ground and the slump was passable I would have had the company snowmobile (03 skidoo summit, 800HO, rev) to do the work.

If the road at Coffee creek opens up i will be back tomorrow in that area to finish the job up. Lots of slides today so we have to wait for better weather the LIDAR does not work well with moisture.

bustamove
03-12-2007, 09:57 PM
Fuk, I wish my bosses would buy us quads for surveying. Although we don't do remote stuff like that. Looks alot more exciting than the stupid stratas I've been drawing for months. Good to see another surveyor on the board [cheers]

LOL i got a quad, i just finish getting elevations shots on the pitt meadow dyking system with GPS, now i am back to running a gun [j]

yota90ca
03-12-2007, 11:28 PM
[QUOTE=mijinkal;1097328]Fuk, I wish my bosses would buy us quads for surveying. Although we don't do remote stuff like that. QUOTE]

You think that is remote, we still had cell service, and that was only an hour drive from the office in nelson.

what i did in stewart was remote and no atv was going to help me get the job done. Needed a chopper. I have the pics some where, lots of good photos.

nykoma
03-13-2007, 07:57 AM
thats agreat area work up near there, we were up schroeder creek[cheers]

mijinkal
03-13-2007, 08:15 AM
[QUOTE=mijinkal;1097328]what i did in stewart was remote and no atv was going to help me get the job done. Needed a chopper. I have the pics some where, lots of good photos.

Sweet, I'd love to see some of them. send some my way if you find them. mijinkal@hotmail.com

mijinkal
03-13-2007, 08:21 AM
never mind, I see them in the other post

yota90ca
03-13-2007, 06:14 PM
thats agreat area work up near there, we were up schroeder creek[cheers]

Drove past that area several times this winter, doing some control work up in Howser creek and Glacier creek. I dont do much forestry stuff anymore mostly computer work, design and GPS surveying since i finish the second diploma