PDA

View Full Version : 87 YJ Needs Help..

Stoleit
03-09-2007, 10:26 AM
I was up at stave testing out my JEEP and just barley got it home... When I have it in Second gear and trying to get it into third is the problem. When I go to give it gas to switch gears.. it just dies. Like no power. I changed the fuel filter and checked all the electrical wires.. EVERYTHING works good. Would I be wrong to say something in the gas tank??? I have a half tank of gas but it just dies like stalling.. no gas sort of thing. Help!! I am running out of options.
:dontknow:

Pudge
03-09-2007, 10:31 AM
Matt Jeap Thrills 604-465-5559

degsey
03-09-2007, 10:34 AM
might have a problem with your cat i had a kinda the same problem with my old jeep

Stoleit
03-09-2007, 10:38 AM
no its not that i changed that like 2 weeks ago.

dirt balls
03-09-2007, 12:48 PM
have you checked your air filter:dontknow: it could be that especially if you wore playing in the water because the air box on them suck the air in from down really low and stupid easy fix with some pvc pipe[cheers]

Stoleit
03-09-2007, 02:47 PM
Good Question I dont think i have.

Tunabomber
03-09-2007, 05:00 PM
:confused0006: vacume leak:dontknow:

jeepboy
03-10-2007, 01:26 PM
Check your timing, water in your distributor or looseness, how much crap was in the gas filter when you changed it.....change it again and take a look at how dirty it is......it's cheap to replace.

brandonf250
03-10-2007, 02:13 PM
i bet its ur cat i know u said u changed it but ive had the exact problem and my cat was only like 6months old and it busted apart and plugged up the exhaust and had zero power

Nutbar
03-10-2007, 02:25 PM
I tried to reply in your intro thread but it will probably get lost with all the guys askin to see your tits so here it goes again

#1 is it a 4 cyl or 6 cyl?

A few common problems can cause your symptoms but without more info on it the most likely culprit is probably your gas tank itself the early YJs are bad for the bottom of the plastic tank to bow up in the middle pretty much right where the pick up in the tank is so even though you have gas in the tank it can't get to the pick up. Also the filter on the end of the pick up inside the tank probably has never been changed and those plug up as well.
[cheers]

I am a Jeep mechanic so if you have more problems or still can't solve this one feel free to PM me and I will see if I can give you some advice.:D
[cheers]

Stoleit
03-13-2007, 08:44 AM
:confused0006: vacume leak:dontknow:

I think you are right, I took it to a a prof.. and he says it may have something to do with my new cat... and its like its searching .. doesnt want to idle nicely.[16]

Jeepnut
03-13-2007, 09:19 AM
oxygen sensor?????

Nutbar
03-13-2007, 06:11 PM
Those things have a computer controlled carb on them and the whole computer system is a piece of shit that is probably the root of all your problems it will cause pretty much all the symptoms you are describing I can bypass the computer on it and get it to run without it it will run way better and have more power it involves some rewiring some vacum hose rerouting and carb and timing adjustments send me another PM and we can talk some more about it.[cheers]

Stoleit
03-14-2007, 11:46 AM
Those things have a computer controlled carb on them and the whole computer system is a piece of shit that is probably the root of all your problems it will cause pretty much all the symptoms you are describing I can bypass the computer on it and get it to run without it it will run way better and have more power it involves some rewiring some vacum hose rerouting and carb and timing adjustments send me another PM and we can talk some more about it.[cheers]

For sure let me know what I can do or what you can.. PM me..:s30x:

England
03-14-2007, 12:18 PM
ah ...the jeep god has spkoen

Tinker
03-15-2007, 06:00 PM
I was thinking a compromised lock ring on top of the gas tank?