PDA

View Full Version : Electrical Fire

trailburban
03-05-2007, 10:25 PM
driving to work today the cab filled up with smoke that came from under the dash (drivers side) and the engine died (lost ign power). anyone have any ideas for me? No blown fuses, no more smoking, no sign of burnt wires, truck cranks, everything works except it won't fire up. No fuel pump either. It's not the fuel pump or relay.

89 burb with TBI 350

For Sale: 89 burb - mechanics special :)

pumpkin
03-06-2007, 06:44 AM
Sonds like a short somewhere. Look for burnt wires and trace to the short. Fix the short, patch the hole in the wire and recharge system with smoke. Its the smoke that makes electrical stuff work. If you cant find the leak, just fill with smoke while you watch for the leak[cheers]

Crashmaster
03-06-2007, 10:21 AM
Smoke usually comes from heated plastic, that comes from poor connections. A short usually burns through a fusible link before It can make much heat.

Look at the ignition switch connectors and the bulkhead connectors for melted plastic. Cut out burnt wires and bypass the ruined connector.

Kinslayer
03-06-2007, 10:35 AM
Smoke usually comes from heated plastic, that comes from poor connections. A short usually burns through a fusible link before It can make much heat.

Look at the ignition switch connectors and the bulkhead connectors for melted plastic. Cut out burnt wires and bypass the ruined connector.

...Then go and pick up some DOT-6 Electrical smoke from Lordco - it's about 24 dollars for the one that will recharge a chevy wiring harness. You will need to get an adapter cable for your application though - IE:

http://img.shopping.com/cctool/PrdImg/images/pr/177X150/00/01/d6/73/9d/30831517.JPG

trailburban
03-06-2007, 10:01 PM
LOL, thanks guys.

tore into it today and found that a wire burnt all the way from the fuse box up into the harness and back down to the firewall. burnt off all the insulation. got it all fixed up now though. i figure it rubbed through cause i traced the wires and tested for shorts.

epic3
03-07-2007, 03:56 PM
FUSES
Fuses are to protect against fires

Lucas
03-07-2007, 10:36 PM
your problem trailburban is you should have a real mechanic working on it!!!lol

trailburban
03-07-2007, 10:53 PM
well, it started with a 10a fuse, but it kept blowing so i kept putting in bigger fuses until the 40a breaker welded its contacts closed and the wire finally melted to i could find the short.

nice one lucas

epic3
03-08-2007, 01:44 PM
that was stupid

trailburban
03-09-2007, 11:06 PM
It was the easiest way to locate the problem and it allowed all areas of concern to be addressed once it finally made a big enough short.

On the up side I think I gained back about 10 HP with the fuel pump now getting it's 15 volts.