PDA

View Full Version : Power Steering pump

highwaystar
03-02-2007, 10:55 PM
my power steering pump is starting to make a heck of a lot of noise.(3.0L V6 vrz-e or w/e)
Mostly when its cold out and it quiets down a little bit when it warms up. Im guessing its on its way out.

Im pretty broke, how long can i get out of it and when it goes what will happen? can i still drive it? I looked at it and it seems like an involved replacement (pulley swap, maybe the reservoir thing, and probably some kind of bleeding the fluid)

It has been getting louder now for about a month.
Has anyone had this happen? any advice appreciated on what i should do.

Hello Kitty
03-02-2007, 11:17 PM
my power steering pump is starting to make a heck of a lot of noise.(3.0L V6 vrz-e or w/e)
Mostly when its cold out and it quiets down a little bit when it warms up. Im guessing its on its way out.

Im pretty broke, how long can i get out of it and when it goes what will happen? can i still drive it? I looked at it and it seems like an involved replacement (pulley swap, maybe the reservoir thing, and probably some kind of bleeding the fluid)

It has been getting louder now for about a month.
Has anyone had this happen? any advice appreciated on what i should do.

just did mine recently. go to lordco and say "fun in bc" and get the -30% discount or use whoevers account gets u a deal.

it's a bit of a bitch with they pulley but pretty ok to do.

[cheers]

poostang
03-02-2007, 11:33 PM
ya go to lordco they ill give you a wicked deal

lizard
03-03-2007, 09:36 AM
and I think u can rent the pulley puller @ canbodian tire

Saeros
03-04-2007, 08:37 AM
Have you checked the fluid level??? Something cheap to check... & remember, it's DEXRON III ATF. Not power steering fluid!

Hello Kitty
03-05-2007, 04:26 PM
Have you checked the fluid level??? Something cheap to check... & remember, it's DEXRON III ATF. Not power steering fluid!

ya wholly the manual says to use dextron II ATF. never knewed that thanks.

highwaystar
03-05-2007, 04:53 PM
well i swapped cars for the week with my mom. she wont put many miles on. ill do it next weekend. thx guys.

C-Dog
03-06-2007, 10:52 AM
Working hard hey Greg :D

Crashmaster
03-06-2007, 12:23 PM
was that directed at me? well I ain't. cheers ahhh

OT, sometimes it's old fluid with failing viscocity that makes P.S. pumps noisey. It's the vanes vibrating I believe. I'ld add a half-dose of transmission treatment after doing a full fluid flush.

Cheaper to do then the pump, but if its been real noisey for a while, damage might have been done.

You'll need to flush the system anyways when installing a new pump.

StillRYE
03-06-2007, 01:08 PM
Go and buy the lucas power steering additive it is freakin amazing stuff i run it in all my vehicles. I used it in my ex's k car and got another 6 months out of the pump and it was majorly screwed.