PDA

View Full Version : Track Bar?

Kinslayer
02-20-2007, 03:57 PM
I just realized, as far as I know, there is no front track bar on my truck - is there suppsed to be? I just went through as many pics I could find of chevs on the site here and can't find any definative evidence.

Yeah yeah, newbie question, its my first chev, heh.

Troy
02-20-2007, 04:00 PM
i had a few on the 5 ford dana axles i have had around here....now they're in the junk pile...want one?

10 million dollars....

Kinslayer
02-20-2007, 04:08 PM
Well, it makes sense that I would want one, but I don't remember taking one OFF when I pulled my corp 10 out...

Troy
02-20-2007, 04:11 PM
Well, it makes sense that I would want one, but I don't remember taking one OFF when I pulled my corp 10 out...

they were held on with u bolts just like exhaust clamps around the axle and then 2 little arms coming off your frame with rubber bushings in them connected the sway bar to the frame. If you look closely at your old axle you should see the grooves from the u bolts that held it on...i know all mine have had them and i chopped em off as soon as they hit the ground

Kinslayer
02-20-2007, 04:20 PM
That's the sway bar, which was connected to the top plate of the ubolts. I hacked that off and it's not going back on - did it do 'track bar' stuff too? Sounds silly, being on a laterally moveable mounting point..

Troy
02-20-2007, 04:25 PM
you won't need it anyways your lift isn't big enough and for the rear you could always make a single or double traction bars (aka ladder bars) for wheel hop because without it would put alot stress on your u joints under load and twist your axle forward screwing with your pinion angle....leaf springs have 2 jobs to do, locate the axle, and act as a spring for suspension. It's hard for a simple designed part to do 2 jobs at once without help. thats for the rear anyways

Kinslayer
02-20-2007, 04:51 PM
Yeah, like a torsion bar? to avoid axle wrap?

bryce gibbons
02-20-2007, 05:45 PM
yah man i dont think u got ne thing to wory about, i got 40s on my chebbie n lotsa lift rear is shaclkle reversal with 9 inch leafs. i got no trac bars front or rear, only noticed wheel hop once pullin out a truk, n ive puled out lotsa truks since biuldin er

OldEnuff
02-21-2007, 06:13 PM
most stock front leaf sprung suspensions do not use a track bar.

The leafs keep the axle centered.

If you are going with huge lift and large tires a track bar should be added to increase stabilitey or you could bend your shackles or break your leafs.

OldEnuff
02-21-2007, 06:15 PM
trac bar has nothing to do with wheel hop

Squishy
02-21-2007, 07:09 PM
trac bar=panhard, not needed for leafs

pumpkin
02-21-2007, 08:03 PM
I just realized, as far as I know, there is no front track bar on my truck - is there suppsed to be? I just went through as many pics I could find of chevs on the site here and can't find any definative evidence.

Yeah yeah, newbie question, its my first chev, heh.
Chevy's did not come with track bars on leaf suspension.

Kinslayer
02-21-2007, 10:50 PM
Cool, thanks guys. Makes sense to have one on big arced springs now that I think about it, but I've had no experience with front leaves before, last truck was a commanche.