PDA

View Full Version : Air conditioning

Woodstock
02-17-2007, 08:02 PM
I was looking at my 350 that im just about to start rebuilding and i was going to rip off the air conditioning pump and toss it out but its a pump right... so can it be turned into on board air? How hard it this to do if it can be done?

kootenaycat
02-17-2007, 11:31 PM
Far as I know the only A/C compressors to use are the old York vertical standing ones. They have a oil reservoir like an engine to keep themselves lubed.

All automotive ones I have seen in the last 20 years of my career are lubed with the oil charge that circulates with the freon. One way around this would be to have an oil reservoir on the compressor intake and meter it somehow. But then you have to worry about always making sure it's topped up. The bonus to this is you don't have to lube your air tools on the trail fixes! :D

Not sure about heavy duty applications, highway tractors, they may still use the York style.

trailburban
02-17-2007, 11:43 PM
does the compressor look like and air compressor? then yes you can use it for an aircompressor no problem, just change out ALL the oil in it, and add 8 oz of air compressor oil. this type can be used excessively (90% on, 10% off)

if you have a pancake style then i don't recommend using it.

if you have a 'barrel' (aluminum) style one then you need to drain all the oil, add 6 oz of air compressor oil, install an oil separator that auto dumps the removed oil back into the compressor intake. make sure that the oil return system is pre oilled so that there will always be 6 or 7 oz of oil in the compressor at any time. This type cannot be used for extended periods (40% on, 60% off)

typical setup can be set for 90 psi on, 150 psi off.

pumpkin
02-18-2007, 10:06 AM
Jeepnut is running an axial 4 piston gm compressor for his onboard air. It works well you just have to put an oiler for the intake side of the compressor and an oil separater for the preasure side. My as well use up what you have allready. And when it goes they're easy to change, and if you shop around you can probably get some backups for cheep, before you need them.