PDA

View Full Version : Hubs for a 1992 Explorer

WagoneerXJ
02-16-2007, 10:28 AM
Alright, a buddy of mine has a 92 Explorer 4x4 with those stupid auto hubs, push button on the dash. Now the hubs are buggered.

He's been lookin at those manual hub conversion kits from Warn, I believe he said it was around $400 for the Warn Premium Hubs and the conversion kit. Is this worth it?

I was tryin to save him some cash and was thinkin we could just grab the hubs and stuff from a Ranger/Exploder/BII, and swap them onto his. This possible? Also what parts would we need to get from the donor vehicle? Now is this even worth it, or should he just buy the Warn kit? Thanks! :happy0045:

In The Zone
02-16-2007, 10:31 AM
As long as the donor is a d35 ttb u are ok

go to the wrecker

personally i would not invest 50.00 bux in to a d35....never mind 400.00

jakerngr
02-16-2007, 02:17 PM
phone nsor nut kit is 35 bux and hubs are around 150

MikeWild
02-16-2007, 03:07 PM
yeah the warn hubs are no more than $200 tops, and they don't come in premium, just regular!

hornythrony
02-16-2007, 06:41 PM
ok i did the researce awhile back and i see them in fliers once and awhile on sale there usally around $275 plus tax for the hubs and the nut kits are around $50-75 depending on where you go. and man hubs are the way to go have ive got the warn on my truck for over 2 years and my buddy owned it before me for like a year and beat the crap out of the truck and they still work awsome

jakerngr
02-16-2007, 08:04 PM
no offence but if you pay that much for that shit your out of your mind
you can get it cheeper

Kinslayer
02-16-2007, 08:13 PM
whatever you do, get manual hubs - automatic hubs are hokey bullshit...from ANY manufacturer - Jeep, Chevy, Ford..it's just a bad idea.

mini
02-16-2007, 11:31 PM
whatever you do, get manual hubs - automatic hubs are hokey bullshit...from ANY manufacturer - Jeep, Chevy, Ford..it's just a bad idea.

wrong it is a great idea, just not condusive for the environment that we put our vehicles through:D

Hey Ann
02-16-2007, 11:43 PM
When we bought our 92 Explorer new we had originally had auto locking hubs with a push of the button. Two times out with them & they broke. Cheap plastic. We had the dealership replace them with warn hubs. Never had any problems since.

WagoneerXJ
02-17-2007, 12:13 AM
Ok I'll just try and find an Exploder in the wrecker with manual hubs. What year Rangers would have D35's up front??? Any?

jakerngr
02-17-2007, 06:57 AM
90 and up with a 4.0l

Hey Ann
02-17-2007, 07:32 AM
Try River Road Auto Wreckers in Maple Ridge. Talk to Tom. He has a ton of Explorers there.

WagoneerXJ
02-17-2007, 09:44 AM
OK one more question....to convert this Explorer to manual hubs....what else would I need besides the hubs? I know there's some coversion kit you can buy aftermarket, but I'm talkin about from a donor Ex in the junkyard?

Kinslayer
02-17-2007, 12:16 PM
wrong it is a great idea, just not condusive for the environment that we put our vehicles through:D

Alright alright. It's a good idea in concept if it worked right. The implementations that these manufacturers have are pretty weak and targeted at soccer mom drivers who put it in 4x as soon as the road gets slightly loose.

If there was a way you could press a button and both hubs would, using whatever means - cable, air, hydro, electric...forcefully engage 100% of the time with NO tire rotation..THAT would kick ass. I'm sure SOMEONE can figure it out, fuck - look at selectable lockers - that can't be less complicated.

I guess the only problem would be the price - look at an ARB locker VS a lockrite.

Kinslayer
02-17-2007, 12:19 PM
OK one more question....to convert this Explorer to manual hubs....what else would I need besides the hubs? I know there's some coversion kit you can buy aftermarket, but I'm talkin about from a donor Ex in the junkyard?

you SHOULD just need the hubs.. if the automatic locking system was vacuum line based you might need to circumvent that so that your vacuum system doesn't have a giant leak, but....i'm not a Ford guy so what do I know.

WagoneerXJ
02-17-2007, 12:45 PM
you SHOULD just need the hubs.. if the automatic locking system was vacuum line based you might need to circumvent that so that your vacuum system doesn't have a giant leak, but....i'm not a Ford guy so what do I know.

No problem. Thanks for your input though!

hornythrony
02-17-2007, 02:37 PM
k you do need the nuts cuz the auto's have this gay single nut set up and you need the two nuts and locking ring for the mans also when you take out the auto nut there is a little locking pin on the inside of the nut in the grove on the spindle so make sure you take that out but yeah any man hub and nuts for a D35 ranger or explorer will work for you but make sure you grad all three things per side and hubs but if anyone can find brand new hubs for less then $200 spread the word and they would sell lots cuz everyone say's they know where but know one ever gets them for that unless there used and one other thing warn only makes a standard hub set up for rangers and exlporers and bronco II's. heres the warn site with the part numbers and stuff: http://www.warn.com/truck/hubs/application_chart.shtml#exceptions